    i.e.- if you ping yahoo first, and you get no response, you won't know if
    it's because your own DNS is down or yahoo is down.

    ding... dong.., the fries are done...

    Rowdy Yates, Sep 19, 2004

  2. j0ser

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    as thick as a brick?

    Rowdy Yates, Sep 19, 2004

  3. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    well, that was boring...

    Neil, Sep 19, 2004
  4. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again Rowdy Yates
    *flute plays in background as Neil's toes tap*

    Neil, Sep 19, 2004
  5. j0ser

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    when i was a kid, i wanted to play the drums. my grandpa told me, "don't
    be a shmuck! play the flute! it's small. it's light. you put it in your
    pocket and you hop on the subway."

    Rowdy Yates, Sep 19, 2004
  6. j0ser

    Kurt Guest

    if you ping yahoo first, and you get no response, you won't know if
    Exactly!!!! You got it!!!! And you also won't know if it is because you (and
    Gertrude, of course) didn't get TCP/IP installed on that poor old w2Kpro
    box. If I'm checking for network connectivity, my choice is to ping the
    farthest reachable thing from me, because it's mostly just to verify that
    what always works is still working. But if all I'm checking for is whether
    TCP/IP is installed (and I only have the 4 choices and limited knowledge
    given in the question) then the only choice that _positively_ tells me is
    ping 127.0.0.1. Pinging any of the other choices (if I don't get a reply)
    makes me have to do more troubleshooting to find out if my own TCP stack is
    working. Pinging localhost tells me what I want to know with no other steps
    required, whether I get a reply or not.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Sep 19, 2004
  7. ding... dong.., the fries are done...

    what my shake damn it, I ask for a shake as well....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 19, 2004
  8. j0ser

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    sorry sir. we are all out of "shake". but we still got "rattle" & "roll".

    :-[

    Rowdy Yates, Sep 19, 2004
  9. Yeah right. Something tells me Laura belongs to no man.
    and now you're going to die!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 19, 2004
  10. sorry sir. we are all out of "shake". but we still got "rattle" & "roll".

    you're fired.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 19, 2004
  11. j0ser

    Kurt Guest

    Donld Trump would be proud

    Kurt, Sep 19, 2004
  12. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again Rowdy Yates
    so did Ian Anderson's Grandparents...appearently...

    Neil, Sep 19, 2004
  13. j0ser

    Jtyc Guest

    From now on, you can talk to my lawyer, jtyc...

    That's low. What have I ever done to you to deserve the name calling?

    Jtyc, Sep 20, 2004
  14. j0ser

    JaR Guest

    Oh, my. I am thinking you have more to fear than the repercussions of
    having misplaced the slightly moistened Ferrari.

    After having called Jtyc a lawyer, you may want to consider a long trip.
    Quickly. Tasmania or perhaps Antartica might be salubrious.

    At the very least, might I recommend a kevlar undergarment for sir?

    JaR
    Helpful Thug

    JaR, Sep 20, 2004
  15. j0ser

    Jtyc Guest

    At the very least, might I recommend a kevlar undergarment for sir?

    It won't stop a .50 slug.

    Even if it did, it would still crack some ribs.

    Jtyc, Sep 20, 2004
  16. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    <aol>