TCP/IP Question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by j0ser, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. j0ser

    kpg Guest

    IFYPFY
    Gertrude : What's a Start Menu?

    Catwalker : It's in the lower left hand side of your monitor, it says
    "Start"

    Gertrude : I don't see it. Theres nothing there.

    Catwalker : OK. Move your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen,
    does a bar with the start menu pop up?

    Gertrude : No, nothing happens.

    Catwalker : Really? OK. Move you mouse to each edge of the monitor and
    tell me if you see the start menu pop up anywhere.

    Gertrude : Oh, there it is. It's at the top.

    Catwalker : Great! Now click on the "Start Menu".

    Gertrude : I did, but it just went away.

    Catwalker : It went away? Did you double click on it?

    Gertrude : I clicked to open it.

    Catwalker : Only click once, not twice.

    Gertrude : OK. It stayed up now.

    Catwalker : Good. Now type cmd and click OK.

    Gertrude : A box poped up.

    Catwalker : Is it a command prompt?

    Gertrude: Its a message box. It says:
    Microsft Windows 2000 [Verion 5.00.2195]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

    Catwalker : OK. That's a Command Propmt. Type ping 127.0.0.1

    Gertrude: How do you spell ping?

    Catwalker : P I N G space 127 dot 0 dot 0 dot 1

    Gertrude: Is the dot the same as a period?

    Catwalker : Yes.

    Gertrude: Do I have to hit Enter?

    Catwalker : Yes.

    Gertrude: OK. Something happened.

    Catwalker : What does it say on the screen?

    Gertrude: Bad command or file name.

    Catwalker : You mistyped something.
    Type P I N G space 127 period 0 period 0 period 1 and press enter

    Gertrude: It says: Bad command or file name.

    Catwalker : <sigh>. OK. Everythng looks fine. Just close that window
    and you're done.

    Gertrude: Contol Alternate Delete?

    Catwalker : NO! Just click on the little x at the top.

    Gertrude: It says other users are logged in, do I want to continue?

    Catwalker : NO!. STOP! Don't touch anything. Is there anyone
    else there I can talk to?

    Gertrude: No. Oh wait, I'm back at the desktop. It's OK now.

    Catwalker : Well, than that should do it.

    Gertrude: OK. Thanks for your help.

    Catwalker : Anytime, that's what were here for.

    kpg A+ MCP MCNGP 0x22
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't
    distributed right. ~Mark Twain

    kpg, Sep 17, 2004

  2. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    [email protected]!

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004

  3. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    ah, you've worked with our users have you?

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  4. j0ser

    Doom Guest

    Here's where my users would ask "right or left click"

    Doom, Sep 17, 2004
  5. =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Sep 17, 2004
  6. j0ser

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Kurt climbed on a soapbox & opined:

    The unrealism comes in at the point where;
    [0]Why was TCP/IP UNinstalled in the first place?
    [1]Why was *this* luser instructed to re-install it?

    I submit that the question is badly constructed, as either answer could be
    correct. In the case of a tech assembling a stand alone box to be connected
    at a later date, yes, A *might* be correct. However, as someone who has
    done this very thing many times, what *I* do is plug in the cat5 and ping
    google or some such. I think in a real world setting, D is the only answer.

    JaR

    JaR, Sep 17, 2004
  7. Clearly Catwalker has not learned the phonetic alphabet. Not that it would
    help, but then at least you REALLY know you have a moron on the other end
    when they don't get it.

    "Papa India November Gulf!"

    "It's not November yet, silly!"

    "NO! JUST TYPE THE FIRST LETTERS OF THOSE WORDS!"

    "Try: Pinhead Idiot Nincompoop Gertrude space..."

    "You want me to just type the first letter of 'space' or the whole word on
    that one?"

    "Press your spacebar!"

    "My what? Oh, this big long key?"

    "Yes... now 127 dot zero dot zero dot one"

    "You mean zero like the letter zero?"

    --
    Fris "I get that last line at least once a week" bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.com

    Certaholics

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Sep 17, 2004
  8. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    *total vindication*

    now send your minion back in his VW wence he came... no offnse Kurt...
    :)

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  9. j0ser

    JaR Guest

    Yes, but I think you all are missing one salient point. I don't recall ever
    having seen such an ambiguous question on a MS exam. Intentional
    misdirection, certainly. But this question leaves out certain info that
    would direct a knowledgable tech to the right answer. The real problem here
    is with the question, not whether the answer is A or D.

    JaR
    Presidential Mediator

    JaR, Sep 17, 2004
  10. j0ser

    Dragon Guest

    Shall I call this the longest thread ever in mpcem?

    Dragon, Sep 17, 2004
  11. Without even checking, I would imagine that this is probably no higher than
    the 10th longest thread in m.p.c.e.mcse

    --
    Fris "And it would probably have to double to reach #9" bee®, MCNGP #13

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Sep 17, 2004
  12. (Kurt can argue all he wants but I don't wanna play no more.)

    I like Kurt!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  13. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    the answer is L and that's final...

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  14. j0ser

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    I've been continually "Marking as read" for the last week or so, but today
    I've actually read a couple of the sub-threads. And I've realized that I was
    right the first time....mark as read. mark as read. mark as read.

    Ken Briscoe, Sep 17, 2004
  15. The real problem here
    which is all I ever said (300+ posts later)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  16. Without even checking, I would imagine that this is probably no higher than
    agreed.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  17. j0ser

    Kurt Guest

    No, no. I can teach my 3 year old to type "cmd".

    Kurt, Sep 17, 2004
  18. j0ser

    Kurt Guest

    You should write professionally. This is great stuff!

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Sep 17, 2004
  19. the answer is L and that's final...

    the end

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  20. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004