    MS exams and know that proper reading of the question and interpreting
    what MS wants is critical to passing the exams. I still would answer that
    question the same way.

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004

  2. j0ser

    Kurt Guest

    There, in your own reply you've listed every conceivable falacy in your
    position.

    The question is what this is all about.
    You're looking for implications. There is no room for this in test taking.
    Besides, do a "route print" from the command line and find your local
    address. What is the gateway and interface if you ping the local address as
    you state? Yep, they're both 127.0.0.1!
    This is not the real world, this is a test question.
    Once again, there is nothing in the question about network connectivity.
    Only that the protocol installation succeeded.
    You're still answering the wrong question. There is nothing in the question
    dealing with connection problems. Only that the protocol got installed
    correctly.

    The question is what this is all about.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Sep 17, 2004

  3. j0ser

    catwalker63 Guest

    You've apparently completly lost site of the reason you are taking these
    exams.

    *shakes head in sadness*

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Definitely not wearing any underwear."

    catwalker63, Sep 17, 2004
  4. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    and I'm not playing anymore...

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  5. j0ser

    Dragon Guest

    :)

    Dragon, Sep 17, 2004
  6. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  7. j0ser

    Dragon Guest

    Are u pinging me?

    <snip>

    </snip>

    Dragon, Sep 17, 2004
  8. j0ser

    Kurt Guest

    I haven't forgotten anything. My job title is senior network engineer and I
    personally designed and now oversee a metropolitan area fiber optic ring
    (actually 2 rings now), so I think I have a little credibility when it comes
    to basic networking.

    You seem to think this is invalid in the real world, so here's a real-world
    scenario with no more information than the question provides:

    (Phone rings, catwalker picks up)

    Gertrude : Hi Catwalker, I just installed TCP/IP on a windows 2000 Pro
    computer. How can I tell if it's installed correctly?

    Catwalker : Can you ping a remote host?

    Gertrude : What's a remote host?

    Catwalker : Is it connected to a network?

    Gertrude : I don't know, I just followed the instructions somebody else gave
    me to install the protocol.

    Catwalker : Is the network cable plugged in?

    Gertrude : What's a network cable look like?

    Catwalker : Ok, gertrude based on the information you've been able to
    provide, there's only one way I know for sure you can tell:
    Go to the start menu and select run.
    Type cmd and click ok.
    type "ping 127.0.0.1"
    If you get a reply, the protocol is correctly installed.
    If you don't get a reply, you've got a local TCP/IP
    problem.

    Tell me why this is any less valid an answer in the "real world" scenario
    given the same information provided by the question?
    I concede that ipconfig will also work.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Honest Neil, this not me posting in disguise....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  10. You've apparently completly lost site of the reason you are taking these
    chick magnet, right?

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  11. My job title is senior network engineer

    Don't take this personally, but so was Maggie's

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  12. It
    which is why these type of questions are fcuking crap. There is not
    room for assumption and ambiguity in IT.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  13. I've taken enough MCSE
    I agree, and that's what makes these exams as good as useless.
    Memorizing the answers without understanding the questions - mad...

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  14. just drop all "TCP/IP ping questions" and no one gets hurt

    yup lets get on the subnetting.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 17, 2004
  15. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    if they are having a problem with "network cable" thier eyes will glaze
    over once you hit "cmd"...

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  16. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    *minor vindication*

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  17. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    what else could it be? not like it will gain me money or respect...

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  18. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    it is you [email protected] so don't deny it!
    ;)

    (Kurt can argue all he wants but I don't wanna play no more.)

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  19. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    I never argued as to the question but only what I would do in real life.

    Neil, Sep 17, 2004
  20. j0ser

    Neil Guest

    but the certs make such nice wallpaper