TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MadCowboy, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. MadCowboy

    MadCowboy Guest

    I am running XP Pro on my dell inspiron 8200 and can not connect to the
    internet through my Linksys G router or see the network. This is both for
    the local area connection through the nic hardwired or the built in B
    wireless networking. The router is configured as a dhcp server with both B/G
    supported.
    Releasing and renewing the adapter in the command window does not change the
    situation. I am connected to the router/gateway in both the wireless and
    hardwired connection yet can not ping the router. The laptop is set to get
    an ip address automatically as well as dns.
    The ipconfig/all command gives me an ip for the wireless connection of
    169.254.173.239 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 !! The local area connection is
    169.254.149.198 subnet 255.255.0.0.
    It can not see the gateway of 192.168.1.1 at all and the router doesn't see
    the laptop either.
    Where is this machine getting these screwball ip's and subnets???
    When I try to repair the local area connection I get the message that tcp/ip
    isn't enabled for this connection. Yet it is installed and set to get auto
    assaigned addresses.
    Any help would be great. What am I not getting??

    --

    Quote of the Week!

    I believe-
    that either you control your attitude or it controls you.

    MadCowboy, Dec 21, 2004

  2. MadCowboy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | I am running XP Pro on my dell inspiron 8200 and can not connect to the
    | internet through my Linksys G router or see the network. This is both for
    | the local area connection through the nic hardwired or the built in B
    | wireless networking. The router is configured as a dhcp server with both
    B/G
    | supported.
    | Releasing and renewing the adapter in the command window does not change
    the
    | situation. I am connected to the router/gateway in both the wireless and
    | hardwired connection yet can not ping the router. The laptop is set to get
    | an ip address automatically as well as dns.
    | The ipconfig/all command gives me an ip for the wireless connection of
    | 169.254.173.239 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 !! The local area connection
    is
    | 169.254.149.198 subnet 255.255.0.0.
    | It can not see the gateway of 192.168.1.1 at all and the router doesn't
    see
    | the laptop either.
    | Where is this machine getting these screwball ip's and subnets???
    | When I try to repair the local area connection I get the message that
    tcp/ip
    | isn't enabled for this connection. Yet it is installed and set to get auto
    | assaigned addresses.
    | Any help would be great. What am I not getting??

    Not that this is much help, but that looks like the "automatic private IP
    address" Windows would provide. It looks like you are getting no connection
    to the router at all...so I'd try start/run/cmd <enter> to start a command
    prompt, then ping 192.168.1.1 <enter> to see if you have any connection.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 21, 2004

  3. MadCowboy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | || I am running XP Pro on my dell inspiron 8200 and can not connect to the
    || internet through my Linksys G router or see the network. This is both for
    || the local area connection through the nic hardwired or the built in B
    || wireless networking. The router is configured as a dhcp server with both
    | B/G
    || supported.
    || Releasing and renewing the adapter in the command window does not change
    | the
    || situation. I am connected to the router/gateway in both the wireless and
    || hardwired connection yet can not ping the router. The laptop is set to
    get
    || an ip address automatically as well as dns.
    || The ipconfig/all command gives me an ip for the wireless connection of
    || 169.254.173.239 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 !! The local area connection
    | is
    || 169.254.149.198 subnet 255.255.0.0.
    || It can not see the gateway of 192.168.1.1 at all and the router doesn't
    | see
    || the laptop either.
    || Where is this machine getting these screwball ip's and subnets???
    || When I try to repair the local area connection I get the message that
    | tcp/ip
    || isn't enabled for this connection. Yet it is installed and set to get
    auto
    || assaigned addresses.
    || Any help would be great. What am I not getting??
    | Not that this is much help, but that looks like the "automatic private IP
    | address" Windows would provide. It looks like you are getting no
    connection
    | to the router at all...so I'd try start/run/cmd <enter> to start a command
    | prompt, then ping 192.168.1.1 <enter> to see if you have any connection.

    Sorry - as I read a little closer I see you tried the ping already. So, have
    you uninstalled the adapter drivers and re-installed them? Have you run the
    network setup wizard? Or the wireless network wizard (which may be only in
    XP SP2 - I don't remember).

    Toolman Tim, Dec 21, 2004
  4. MadCowboy

    MadCowboy Guest

    Hey TT;

    Thanks for reply. No wireless setup wizard in sp1 which I 'm still running.
    Can't get on the net to upgrade! Already ran the network setup wizard with
    no results. I am going to try to uninstall adapter and or tcp/ip protocol
    and reinstall. Keep thinking! Watch thread and I'll update.

    Rob

    Mad Cowboy

    MadCowboy, Dec 21, 2004
  5. MadCowboy

    a Guest

    have you ever used the windows xp system restore tool on this computer? if
    you have there are issues with creating a network, there is an update which
    will fix this which is available from the windows update site.

    a, Dec 21, 2004
  6. MadCowboy

    why? Guest

    Correct it is,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q220874

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 21, 2004
  7. MadCowboy

    why? Guest

    XP SP2?
    When you did the ipconfig, do you get both sections, the 1st IP config
    and the 2nd half with the adapter information?
    It won't without a clever router, the type you have doesn't route
    between subnets.
    They are not screwball address, it's MS trying to be helpful for setting
    up networks , from Win ME? upwards there is a part of the private IP
    range claimed for MS automatic addressing.

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q220874
    Installed and enabled isn't the samething. If it wasn't the msg you gave
    above it would most likely be the PC can't see a DHCP server. Try
    resetting the Linksys back to factory defaults.

    If it was only a wireless problem, Configure the WLAN settings witn no
    security to test the setup, if there is a mistake in SSID/WEP/WPA keys
    then no DHCP as the router couldn't be contacted. Check length of keys,
    that you aren't using, don't use manual keys, set 1 to auto and copy it
    to the other device.

    Your Linksys will be preconfigured with a range as mentioned already,
    something like 192.168.1.1.

    To check at least your basic setup is correct , assign the Inspiron an
    address manually that's in the Linksys range i.e. something like
    192.168.1.5, and the subnet mask as per the Linksys manual, guessing
    it's 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is the Linksys at 192.168.1.1
    Try this first with the wired connection first, it's more likely to
    work.

    You say there is a NIC / built in wireless. Can you disable one of these
    in the BIOS / remove the NIC? Cuts down the issues with 2 live
    connections at the same time.

    Remove both adapters from Network setup, remove all clients / protocols.
    With the one at a time method install only 1 driver (look for any
    updates as well on the nic support site)

    The text you gave isn't in this article, may be worth a read.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259

    Disable the APIPA autoconfiguration,
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjj_ipa_eiih.asp
    or shorter http://makeashorterlink.com/

    Rather than the default , can't find DHCP, let's make up an address you
    may get a different message even if it's "only can't find a dhcp server
    :)"

    Have a look through the previous posts in 24HSHD at Google groups, there
    were some recent posts on connection issues and winsock layer service
    fix. I can't remember what the util was called but you can look.

    Me

    why?, Dec 21, 2004