    this behavior I had previously only seen from, hotmail?

    TIA

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    scan your computer for viruses, trojans, etc

    gwtc, Sep 12, 2006

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks, I do that regularly & did just this morning, nothing found.

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 12, 2006
  4. Dan

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Not a solution, but a band-aid: there is a "Remove Duplicate Messages"
    extension that will help you clean up the duplicate messages when they
    do occur. <https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/956/>

    Andy Luddy, Sep 12, 2006
  5. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    OK, then try closing TB, then using your file manager,locate the mail
    section of the TB profile. Inside you will find some files with the
    extension of *.msf. Once found, delete them. Restart TB. Any difference?

    To find your TB profile you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#locate

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    gwtc, Sep 12, 2006
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks, I'll give it a try & let you know. Oddly, on my machine now the
    same thing is happening with a DIFFERENT hotmail account. Also odd, the
    majority of the messages on this account are on 2 listservs which posts
    I filter into a special folder. The filter is not running automatically
    on these duplicate dl's. Really weird...

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 13, 2006
  7. Dan

    Dan Guest

    That is helpful, I'll get it, thanks for the tip.

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 13, 2006
  8. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Tried it, works! Easier than sifting manually, anyway. Thanks!

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 13, 2006
  9. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Located the *.msf files. There's a ton, for each email folder as well
    as all the ng's. I don't want to delete them if they contain the dl'd
    messages (for the email) since some of the messages are no longer on the
    servers. Is this a concern?

    Thanks

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 14, 2006
  10. No. The .msf files are simply summary files. The actual mail is
    contained in the file without extension. The summary file will be
    rebuilt when you reopen the application.

    For example, you should find Inbox, and Inbox.msf. You can delete
    Inbox.msf with no problem. If you were to delete Inbox (without
    extension) you would delete all your mail.

    So, any file with a .msf extension can be deleted with impunity, as it
    will be recreated.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 14, 2006
  11. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks Lee, I'll give it a try.

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 14, 2006
  12. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Deleted the .msf. So far it seems to have done the trick on my desktop,
    I'll try it on my wife's work laptop, which had been doing the same
    thing. I noted when I was looking at these files that there were a
    number from ng's I have not been subscribed to in months. Seems like
    perhaps a periodic purge of the files might be good maintainence.
    Someone should create an extension... ;-)

    Dan

    Dan, Sep 14, 2006
  13. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    thats one of the downfalls of Mozilla. When you unsubscribe, left
    over files remain behind.

    --
    Continued from yesterday . . . The bartender can't contain his
    curiosity any longer, so he walks over to the table. There in the

    gwtc, Sep 14, 2006
  14. Downfall or Godsend, depending on your needs. Many people have been
    able to rescue needed data when they accidentally deleted an account.

    It can leave kind of a mess in the profile though, which needs to be
    cleaned out manually.

    One other thing to mention besides the msf files is to compact the
    folders. Deleted emails remain in the mbox file, even though they do
    not appear in TB, until the folder is compacted.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 15, 2006
  15. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    but you can't compact newsgroups, just mail

    gwtc, Sep 15, 2006
  16. Sorry, I jumped in on this late and didn't note the specific reference
    to newsgroups.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 15, 2006
  17. Yes you can. Old messages are removed from newsgroups when they are
    compacted.

    Mumia W. (reading news), Sep 15, 2006
  18. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only if messages are downloaded
    for offline use?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Sep 15, 2006
  19. I think even if the messages aren't downloaded, the old headers will be
    cleared by compacting.

    Mumia W. (reading news), Sep 15, 2006