Taskbar - Past Items back into Current Items

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Moke Gibboni, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    I have Windows XP ...

    please would some kind sole tell me how to put a past item from the taskbar
    back into the current item section of the taskbar.

    I used to have my AVAST anti-virus icon in the taskbar at the bottom right
    of the screen, but it has now disappeared and I see it has put itself into
    the past items section.

    Cheers for any assistance in this.

    Moke G.

    'the best person to run a country is the person who doesn't want the job.'

    Moke Gibboni, Oct 28, 2008

  2. Assuming you're using some relatively current flavour of Windows .... here
    are instructions for my setup (Win XP Home Basis SP3), yours should be
    similar.

    Right Click on an empty section of your Task Bar

    Select Properties

    At the very bottom, to the right of where the check box is for "Hide
    Inactive Icons", click on Customize

    Select the icon you want from the list, a drop-down list will appear to the
    right of that item, select Always Show.

    J¡m ßéâñ, Oct 28, 2008

  3. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    Hi Jim - yes, already tried that, but it still remains in the 'past items'
    section with an 'always show' next to it, but it still does not show in the
    taskbar at the bottom right of the screen. I have other items showing at the
    bottom right of the screen (nVidia settings; clock; ZoneAlarm firewall;
    volume) but not the usual circular Avast icon which used to be there.

    Moke Gibboni, Oct 28, 2008
  4. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    Uninstalling Avast and downloading and re-installing it again with a fresh
    registration key seems to have solved the problem!

    Moke Gibboni, Oct 28, 2008
  5. Well, shooting sparrows with cannon bullets.
    Except that program didn't work anymore.

    Didn't it help to uncheck the "hide unused items" checkbox?
    I, for myself (when urged to use windows afte all ....) do want to see
    everything, rather use tools to disable background programs I don't need.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 29, 2008
  6. Moke Gibboni

    Moke Gibboni Guest

    'Didn't it help to uncheck the "hide unused items" checkbox?' No it
    didn't!

    Sometimes drastic action is necessary to achieve the results required.
    Particularly in the computing world, it does very often take a sledge hammer
    to crack a nut so to speak!

    Moke Gibboni, Oct 29, 2008