    Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Ultra Zoom XR LD
    Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

    Anyone like this combo of lens and camera?

    This Old Man, Oct 16, 2003

  2. This Old Man

    o\(*¿*\)o Guest

    I have this lens and a 300D. It does a fair job. The pictures are a bit soft
    and need sharpened with photoshop but other than that no complaints. I guess
    you get what you pay for, until i have the money for an "L" lens this one
    will do. Go to dpreview.com and put this lens into the search i'm sure
    you'll come back to someone with some samples.

    o\(*¿*\)o, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Ultra Zoom XR LD
    I would not use non-Canon lenses.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 16, 2003
  4. This Old Man

    Chris Carlen Guest

    I bought the Canon 28-135mm IS with the 300D as a first extra lens (as
    well as the 50mm f/1.8) since it is a very sharp lens for sub-L grade.
    It also has IS, which will get you hooked when you see what it can do.

    In general I would favor a higher quality, narrower zoom range lens and
    save my $$$ to buy another quality lens later, than spending money on a
    not-so-sharp "do everything" super zoom.

    I am planning on getting the 70-200mm f/4L and 1.4x or 2x extender later on.

    If you want a lens that isn't as expensive as the 28-135mm IS, but has
    good optical quality, consider the 28-105mm USM f/3.5-4.5 lens, which is
    about the same price as the Tamron. I know it doesn't have nearly the
    tele range, but I seriously like to shy away from low price super zooms.

    Good luck!

    Christopher R. Carlen
    Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
    Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
    -- NOTE: Remove "BOGUS" from email address to reply.

    Chris Carlen, Oct 16, 2003
  5. This Old Man

    FOR7b Guest

    Anyone like this combo of lens and camera?
    Poor advice.

    FOR7b, Oct 16, 2003
  6. This Old Man

    JPS Guest

    In message <161020030750340723%>,
    We know you wouldn't, but we also already know that you are a
    simple-minded bigot, and your opinions are to be taken very lightly.

    My Sigma 15-30mm lens is excellent. The only thing my Canon 24mm f1.4L
    lens has on it at 24mm is the f1.4 for extreme low-light situations.

    It's as sharp or sharper than any Canon lens I own except the 300mm f4L
    IS prime, and it's built like a tank. I've had quality issues with two
    of the Canon lenses I've bought already, and one of them is an L lens.

    JPS, Oct 16, 2003
  7. This Old Man

    George Kerby Guest

    What the hell does lens choice have to do with bigotry?

    Geeze!

    George Kerby, Oct 16, 2003
  8. This Old Man

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I just came back from a bear photographing tour.. There was a woman in the
    same tour group as me who had a D60 and the Tamron 20-300.. I never saw the
    output, but she was happy with it. (But then again, she only used the dummy
    mode green square setting :)

    It looked like a nice compact lens though..

    Jim Townsend, Oct 17, 2003
  9. This Old Man

    Lew Guest

    Would you tell me where you went on a bear photo tour? What kind of bears
    and were you happy with the tour?

    Lew, Oct 17, 2003
  10. This Old Man

    Mark M Guest

    Another round-filer!

    Mark M, Oct 17, 2003
  11. This Old Man

    Mark M Guest

    Green square?

    This sounds like a person with their first real camera who was told by some
    "gentleman" from Abe's of Maine that this was a "Pro lens."

    No lens of that zoom ratio is going to look good upon close inspection of
    photos.
    The only lens I've seen that stays respectable at anywhere near that ratio
    is the Canon 35-350 L. Even THAT huge, expensive lens is a compromise.

    Mark M, Oct 17, 2003
  12. This Old Man

    o\(*¿*\)o Guest

    It is a very attractive lens, LOL. Quality is sub par tho. I will deal with
    it in photoshop till i get a new lens but the question should be would i buy
    it again? That would be a BIG no. Save your money and get a decent lens.
    Just my opinion.

    o(*¿*)o

    o\(*¿*\)o, Oct 17, 2003
  13. This Old Man

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Hi Lew.. It was *way* off the beaten path in Churchill, Canada. The most
    common bear up there is the polar bear.. (There are thousands of them) I was
    absolutely thrilled to take the tour... Even though it was cold, windy and
    snowing.

    The tour outfit takes you out to the middle of nowhere on the sub-arctic
    tundra. They use giant land buggies that keep you up high and away from the
    bears, but close enough to get good shots when they come up to sniff you :)
    These bears are totally wild and rarely see humans.

    The bears are a bit 'dirty' now because they've been walking through grass, mud
    and moss. When they head out to the sea to hunt seals in the ice, they'll
    change to the familiar bright snowy white again.

    I used my 10D and 100-400L lens.

    Here's a couple of resized shots taken Oct 15th. (50K to 190K):

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-00.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-01.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-02.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-03.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-04.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-05.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-06.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-07.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-08.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-09.jpg

    http://members.shaw.ca/jamestownsend/bear-10.jpg

    Jim Townsend, Oct 17, 2003
  14. This Old Man

    zuuum Guest

    LOL... count me OUT! You DO know that the polar bear is about the only bear
    that will stalk humans for food? When you live in their climes, ANYTHING
    that
    perspires or has blood is on the menu... and these things will track you for
    miles on end. Most bears will only kill a human when threatened or in a
    particularly bad mood, but they won't eat you. A hungry polar bear, on the
    other
    hand, will eat every morsel of your curious carcass.

    zuuum, Oct 18, 2003
  15. The tour outfit takes you out to the middle of nowhere on the
    Did anyone see this series of polar bear photos several years ago, I think
    it was in National Geographic?

    The first is a distant shot, looking up a hill at a polar bear and her cubs.

    In the second photo, mama bear has noticed the photographer.

    The third photo shows her running down the hill.

    The last photo is a close-up.

    -Mike

    Michael Geary, Oct 18, 2003
  16. This Old Man

    bud Guest

    Nice pics, thanks for sharing!
    Bud

    bud, Oct 18, 2003
  17. This Old Man

    MB Guest

    I'm grateful for having been able to see the bear photos, but at the same
    time I can imagine that the presence of tourists in numbers must have a
    negative effect on the bears. The photos are terrific.

    MB, Oct 19, 2003
  18. This Old Man

    Mark M Guest

    Yours is the same kind flawed assumption that has taken so many well-meaning
    folk to some of the most over-blown environmental paranoia in human history.

    Namely--When in doubt...outlaw human presence.
    Certainly that will save the world, right?

    Mark M, Oct 19, 2003
  19. This Old Man

    Mark M Guest

    PS...
    ....Which one of those bears appeared unhealthy?

    Mark M, Oct 19, 2003
  20. This Old Man

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Thanks..

    The tours are licensed and there have been several environmental impact studies
    done. Not only that, but the situation is constantly monitored by government
    naturalists.

    The bears couldn't give two hoots about the odd person in a vehicle. They are
    predators that weigh between 700 and 1000 lbs. They've evolved to have no
    fear of anything. (except a bigger bear :)

    They carry on as they would normally. The only difference is they'll walk up
    and sniff the odd vehicle full of people.. This is only out of sheer
    curiosity.

    Jim Townsend, Oct 19, 2003