    purpose, I'd be very

    grateful for any advice.

    Thanks in advance.

    Walney, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Walney

    SJP Guest

    Do Talk Talk have usenet? Ring Talk Talk and ask!

    SJP, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Walney

    steve Guest

    Do TalkTalk provide a usenet service?

    Steve

    steve, Oct 17, 2006
  4. Walney

    Vanguard Guest

    Some info on TalkTalk at
    http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/talktalk-broadband.html - other than
    their own home page which gives you the info that you are looking for.
    I briefly scanned TalkTalk's support pages looking for "newsg" or
    "Usenet", and if my results indicate their support then you won't like
    their [lack of an] answer WHEN YOU CALL THEM TO ASK!

    Vanguard, Oct 17, 2006
  5. Walney

    Whiskers Guest

    If you want NNTP newsgroup access as part of your ISP account, that's the
    sort of question to ask the ISP /before/ you sign up for an 18 months
    contract ;)) I can't find any mention of newsgroups on TalkTalk's web
    site, so I think you'll probably have to phone or email their technical
    support service.

    There are public news-servers that you can use from any ISP connection; a
    web search should get you plenty of suggestions. If you only want text
    groups, the server I use is hard to beat; they charge 10 Euros per year -
    see <http://www.individual.net/>.

    Whiskers, Oct 17, 2006
  6. Walney

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on 17 Oct 2006
    The Music Machine?
    Oh wait...wrong newsgroup. Sorry.

    Frosty, Oct 17, 2006
  7. Walney

    guncrew Guest

    guncrew, Nov 3, 2006
  8. Walney

    guncrew Guest

    I must be one of the fortunate few to be up and running with talktalk.

    guncrew, Nov 3, 2006
  9. Walney

    Gordon Guest

    But with a news server? (I see you are posting via googlegroups.......)

    Gordon, Nov 3, 2006
  10. Walney

    painfuel Guest

    I too am with talktalk. Their tech support tells me they do have a
    news server. The address is news.talktalk.net but they do not offer
    any support. I cannot get this to work though and cannot see the
    problem.

    Ceejayw

    painfuel, Dec 4, 2006
  11. Walney

    Mara Guest

    If this entry is true, I see *plenty* of problems with talktalk.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TalkTalk

    Mara, Dec 4, 2006
  12. TalkTalk has had a *lot* of problems. There have been quite a few
    discussions in uk.telecom.broadband, some examples:
    http://groups.google.es/group/uk.te...ubject:talktalk&rnum=1&hl=en#23e3576aa98aa294
    http://groups.google.es/group/uk.te...ubject:talktalk&rnum=8&hl=en#c72544dd75cda98a
    http://groups.google.es/group/uk.te...bject:talktalk&rnum=11&hl=en#aee06a6f427866b2

    ......& they have also been in an item on BBC tv's Watchdog.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/internet/internet_20061003.shtml

    "Caveat emptor" or as W.C.Fields said "Never give a sucker an even break"

    William Poaster, Dec 4, 2006
  13. Walney

    Mara Guest

    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
    Ewwwwwwwww.

    Obviously those guys consider the term "service" to mean the same thing as when
    a bull "services" a cow.

    Mara, Dec 4, 2006
  14. Walney

    Whiskers Guest

    What have you tried? How far do you get?

    I get

    ]$ telnet news.talktalk.net nntp
    Trying 62.24.224.34...

    and nothing else, from here, but I'm not using TalkTalk as my ISP so that
    isn't conclusive - although I can often get some sort of response from
    ISP-only news-servers, even if only a polite 'go away'.

    There still seems to be nothing on the TalkTalk web site about usenet or
    newsgroups, so I'd assume that effectively, they do not have a
    news-server.

    Whiskers, Dec 4, 2006