Talkaboutcomputing sucks. Was: How long does it take to get banned?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    TALKABOUTCOMPUTING SUCKS.
    A In <>,
    L Roger-with-the-funny-vowels took 17 lines to utter:
    A >I'm posting through a website that pretends these newsgroup posts are
    B >actually coming from *their* members! Hehe ...
    O >
    U >Will they react like the last web interface I registered at and ban me for
    T >telling the truth? Let's see.
    O TALKABOUTCOMPUTING SUCKS.
    P >www.talkingbuttcomputing.com is a cheap ripoff. Do not read posts at that
    U >site or post there, do not click on any of their advertisements or use
    T >their advertisers' products, the site's owners are thieves. They take the
    I >work of many volunteers who are completely unassociated with the website
    N >and pretend it is their own members' work. Access this group the way it is
    G >supposed to be done and get a lot more out of it. Use Outlook Express or
    S >and see what you've been missing.
    U >
    C >Down with capitalistic imperialism.
    S TALKABOUTCOMPUTING SUCKS.

    How long does it take to be censored, I wonder.

    °Mike°, Apr 7, 2005

  2. °Mike°

    Old Gringo Guest

    Even though you won't see my post I agree with you whole heartedly.

    Old Gringo, Apr 7, 2005

  3. °Mike°

    Sano Guest

    Stealing freely available information, sticking it on the web to sell ads?
    What's wrong with that? Isn't that a good business model?

    What's wrong with leeching?

    Sano, Apr 8, 2005
  4. The "stealing" part; are you from another planet?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
  5. °Mike°

    Dave Lear Guest

    in message
    As they're taking something that is free in the first place it's not
    stealing.

    I'm from Earth; where are you from that "not stealing" is a bad thing?

    Dave Lear, Apr 8, 2005
  6. They often represent it as their own work forum; they make it seem like
    part of their website; their users have to use a clunky web interface
    for a medium that's better handled the way it was intended, with normal
    news clients - even the brain-dead OE. In short, they suck totally,
    for everyone but the dishonest webmaster.
    Look at the big picture. I just painted a few strokes for you.

    Boilerplate for anyone reading this that's handicapped by a web
    interface:

    ===

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
    fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others [1], rather than
    some clunky web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and
    IT hasn't favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP)
    capability. Do *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take
    control of your own Usenet experience.

    [1]Even with a piece of crap you already have, like Outlook Express,
    which, as bad as it is, still beats web interfaces for this activity
    that wasn't meant for webification.

    ===

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
  7. dele "work". Changed wording, didn't remove old word.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
  8. °Mike°

    trout Guest

    Wow, it's like this newsgroup has had a satirectomy.

    trout, Apr 8, 2005
  9. °Mike°

    Paul - xxx Guest

    trout composed the following;:
    Maybe the puppies like it.

    Paul - xxx, Apr 8, 2005
  10. You're right that his questions didn't set off my satire detectors. They
    still don't.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
  11. °Mike°

    Sano Guest

    Your website is freely available isn't it?

    Sano, Apr 8, 2005
  12. Not to be duped and represented as yours.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
  13. °Mike°

    TJ Guest

    The way I see it, you can either save your 'intellectual property' by no
    longer providing answers in this group, or you can get over yourself.

    This whole thing puts me in mind of those, "How can I keep people from
    stealing the pictures off my website?" threads. Which (after some dolt
    posts a pointer to a useless no-right-click script) is correctly followed up
    with;

    "You can't."

    And why does anyone care about this anyway? What the hell's the difference
    if one finds the same answer in this group, by searching Google, or via
    Talkaboutcomputing? Seriously.

    TJ, Apr 8, 2005
  14. The way I see it, I'll continue to dislike clunky web interfaces from
    websites that present this as their forums, and moreso because their
    users don't get to learn how to post.
    The usual answer in alt.html and alt.www.webmaster is "don't put it on
    the web".
    I could very equally ask, "Why do you care that some people care about this
    isssue?" Because we do. Because you do. Tie. Next question?
    I have no problems with GG as an *archive*, which it does well (albeit
    the new interface is worse than the old one (which can still be found
    at groups.google.ca and other addresses)). And I've already given my
    reasons for disliking website Usenet interfaces.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
  15. °Mike°

    TJ Guest

    Fair enough.
    Both of which are correct. But isn't that exactly what you're doing by
    posting your 'intellectual' property to a publically available world-wide
    newsgroup? Kinda makes you "fair-game" as well, no?
    That's *not* fair. You seem to have an ax to grind, while I don't. And I
    suspect that ax may be directly connected to your ego. I've never been to
    the Talkaboutcomputing site, or forum, or whatever the hell it is, but I
    suspect they might not "attribute" answers to the questions asked there. Is
    that right?
    It's not about you and/or me. It's about sharing information. And I'll
    stand by my point. I don't care where the answer comes from, so long as I
    get it.

    Respectfully,
    TJ

    TJ, Apr 8, 2005
  16. Of course it does. And I'll continue to disfavor that kind of theft as
    well.
    I don't like web gateways for usenet. I've never claimed not to have a
    strong opinion that. That's why this discussion is happening.
    Nope. It's about Usenet being Usenet, not Webmaster Bubba's toy.
    I've never been there, either.
    As will I, by mine.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005
  17. °Mike°

    TJ Guest

    I'm still not clear on what you beleive is being "stolen".
    Given the "rules" ... Or rather lack thereof, I don't see the point in
    worrying about something you can't possibly hope to control. But then,
    that's up to you.
    How can you take this opposing stance then?
    Now that's fair. :) I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

    TJ

    TJ, Apr 8, 2005
  18. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    Mine's not; it must have been stolen.

    °Mike°, Apr 8, 2005
  19. °Mike°

    trout Guest

    Ah, your instincts were, indeed, correct. Rather than belabour
    semantics for the course of a giant thread; I prefer to use the terms
    "hi-jacking" and "misrepresentation".

    trout, Apr 8, 2005
  20. Thanks for the confirmation.
    Yeah, I could've sugar-coated it. And yes, that probably would've been
    mild enough to not provoke support. I'll learn.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 8, 2005