    settings on the loan PC?
    DO I really need to install TalkTalk's software to the loan PC?
    TIA

    Vass, Feb 29, 2008

  2. Vass

    Whiskers Guest

    Whiskers, Feb 29, 2008

  3. Vass

    Vass Guest

    Vass, Feb 29, 2008
  4. Vass

    Mara Guest

    It's a loaner. You don't *have* to put *anything* on it. And it's still *your*
    machine. If your friend wants to run talktalk, he can wait until he gets his
    fixed or he buys a new computer. It's *your* choice.

    Mara, Feb 29, 2008
  5. Vass

    Whiskers Guest

    I haven't looked in detail at that FAQ but my guess is that replacing the
    USB 'modem' (supplied by the ISP?) with a proper 'modem'/router and using
    the ethernet connection from the router to the computer, would avoid
    needing to install anything on the loaned computer. You would of course
    need to know the settings required to get the 'modem'/router working with
    the ISP connection, just in case it doesn't 'just work' when it's connected.

    <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=
    MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HELPDESK.MAINPAGE&topicSelect=BROADBAND&catSel
    ect=Modem&showFAQ=MODEMSETTINGS> or <http://xrl.us/bgxx4> seems to provide
    that information.

    Once the loaned computer is returned one is going to wipe and reinstall
    everything anyway, (even if the lendee does so before returning it) so I
    can't see the objection to installing any particular software for the
    duration of the loan. Unless one has an aversion to Microsoft or to
    multiple re-boots, of course,

    Whiskers, Feb 29, 2008
  6. Vass

    Cub Guest

    Put a cheap modem router on put the talk talk setting in that and connect
    the loan pc to it via a nic

    Cub, Feb 29, 2008