    usefull.

    Tia

    Steve

    gahn, Apr 23, 2004

  2. gahn

    DaViD Guest

    depends what you are trying to acheive:
    its the same with amy camera. flash still image. trypod for blurred image
    or fill falsh on slower speed for mix.

    DaViD, Apr 23, 2004

  3. gahn

    Doug Guest

    Make sure you set your white balance. A nite club usually has a number of
    different light sources which will play havoc with your colours. It will
    most likely be a low light situation ,so have your aperature set wide open
    and let the camera decide on the shutter speed. Also , if necessary,
    increase the ISO setting from 100 to 400. The use of a flash will wash out
    the ambient atmosphere and make your pics look stark and sterile, so I would
    avoid it if at all possible. I have taken some reasonable hand held pics in
    these conditions The use of a tripod would be ideal , but I find it to be
    awkward and unwieldy in this environment.
    Hope this helps

    Doug

    Doug, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Turn flash OFF. Set ISO to highest number available. Adjust white balance.
    Use a monopod - it's a must.
    Rich

    Richard Braun, Apr 23, 2004
  5. gahn

    sharetips033

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Basically, you'll need a (digital or film) SLR camera. Then you'll need a "fast" lens - one with a maximum apature of f/1.8 or f/1.4 (50mm f/1.8 lenses are usually very cheap - under $100 for Canon or Nikon). Then, set your apature to the lowest (f/1.4 or f/1.8 - depending on the lens), your ISO to as high as it'll go (either 1600 or 3200 [also labelled "h" on some cameras]). Now, as long as your subject isn't moving too much and you don't have the shakes, you should be able to get away with a shutter speed as low as 1/60.

    If this doesn't give you enough light, you'll need to use flash, but get a separate speedlight (don't use the one built in your camera) and bounce the light off the ceiling or off walls if the ceiling is very high. You can match the colour of the light coming from your flash with the existing light in the club by first going to your local camera shop and asking for a swatch of filters from Lee/Cokin/Rosco, and taping whichever colour you want to use over the flash.

    If you're using a point and shoot camera, set the ISO as high as it'll go, and the apature as low as it'll go (if the camera allows you to do this), and turn the flash off.

    With either camera, if you have to use flash, set it as low as you can get aweay with so that it doesn't dominate the whole scene (still keep your appature low and ISO high).

    sharetips033, Sep 15, 2010