taking picture of strangers... ask for permission?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chibitul, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. chibitul

    Azzz1588 Guest

    What a shame, and to think, you could have been one of the victims...

    And you call yourselves advanced, right.

    No, this didnt happen in an instant, it took a while. Now what were
    you people thinking about while others were dieing ?? Obiviously
    not to much though about taking care of those who were at risk.
    And most people going on vacation at the same time, well what
    were they thinking about while elderly people were dieing ??
    A lot of the health care people were on vacation at the same time,
    didnt anyone think to cut their vacations short ??
    This took a while to happen, but your country seemed to be caught
    in a malaise, and for the most part, did nothing...
    Over 10,000 dead ??? There is no excuse for this in a civilized country !
    If this had happened in the USA, heads would be rolling for such a
    lack of caring, and response to the problem. In political, and
    the private sectors. And there would have been an almost immedate
    response by state. and federal govt's. There should have been places
    for people to go, and family who cared (!!) checking up on their relatives.
    But nope, ya just let them die...........

    Like I said, Americans equate this kind of behavior to what
    is found in 3D world countries.........
    And it appears that france is now the head of the 3D world.

    Azzz1588, Oct 9, 2003

  2. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Why is that a shame? It was somewhat more tolerable with air
    conditioning.
    Whom are you addressing here?
    See above.
    The fact is, there wasn't much that could be done. Although many claim
    otherwise, the fact is, without air conditioning, there was _nothing_
    that would have made those apartments and rest homes tolerable for their
    elderly residents. And without air conditioning in hospitals, there was
    _nothing_ that could have improved their conditions substantially at the
    hospital.

    It all revolves around air conditioning. At temperatures of 114°, many
    elderly people will die, no matter how much you care about them or how
    much water you ladle down their throats. You _must_ cool the air to
    keep them alive. This is what many people in France have not
    understood.
    They weren't thinking about elderly people, but even if they had been,
    it would not have changed much, for the reasons I've stated above.
    What would that accomplish? Unless they came home with air conditioners
    to install, it would not have changed anything.
    My country was not involved.
    It's not an unusual figure for this type of event.
    It has, and they did (I think).
    I don't believe that has come to pass in the historical precedents for
    this type of heat wave that occurred in the U.S.
    Americans have much the same problem. Heat is deadly everywhere.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 10, 2003

  3. chibitul

    Azzz1588 Guest

    You, and the french people as a whole.

    Than in the USA, why are they not dieing in places like
    Nevada, New Mexico, california and other states that
    have simmilar tempratures in the summer ???
    Hell, I remember a trip to Oklahoma, where the average
    daily temprature was 110. And there NO people dieing.
    And I stayed there two weeks. My 86 year old grandma
    was with us at the time too, she had no problem :)

    That statement speaks volumes about the moral maliase
    prevalent in france then. I actually cant believe you wrote that !!
    They werent thinking ??? Wow !!!
    Dont you people think about anyone but your own sleves ??

    We just had Isabel roll through, and cause a lot of damage in my area.
    Our power was out for a week. First thing I did was check on
    my elderly neighbors, and buy/cook food form them, and make
    sure they were ok. (we have gas, most around me have electric stoves)

    Show me one other western country where this has happened
    in the say.. last few decades.

    Like I said, this is what Americans equate with 3D world countries.
    Hell, even my English friends aggree on this !!!

    Azzz1588, Oct 10, 2003
  4. chibitul

    Azzz1588 Guest

    Americans have never lost over 10,000 dead from a heat
    wave......

    And no AC in hospitals ?? Wow, you would think they would have
    one if for no other reason than as part of an air filtration system.
    Every large hospital in the US is basically built this way.

    But just from your attitude, I can see why so many died.
    Ya all figured there was nothing ya could do about it, so
    why cut your vacation short.
    I couldnt believe you said that. What a lack of caring !!

    Azzz1588, Oct 10, 2003
  5. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Why do you group us together?
    Because heat is normal in these places. This is less true in places
    like New York or Chicago, however.
    People don't think about the elderly in the U.S., either.
    Then why are you commenting on it as if you do?
    It's a problem in most developed countries.
    Which people are you talking about here?
    A lot of elderly people in the u.S. are rotting in rest homes. They may
    not ever receive any visitors until their terminal illness, and even
    then only if they have something substantial to leave to their
    descendants in a will.
    The United States, and this year, much of Western Europe. India had a
    recent heat wave as well. Heat waves are becoming more common.
    Hot weather? It will be coming your way soon, so be prepared.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 10, 2003
  6. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Americans have never had a heat wave this severe and widespread, as far
    as I know.
    I agree, but Europeans have a taboo against air conditioning.
    My attitude had nothing to do with it.
    I wasn't on vacation.
    Don't do too much investigation of practices in the U.S., or you may be
    doubly shocked.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 10, 2003
  7. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Both New York and Chicago often have summer days over 100 F.
    They generally have air conditioning, and they KNOW about the hazards of
    the high temps.
    Wrong. We have programs where both postal carriers and police, as well
    as utility workers are required to check on elderly people if they don't
    respond to normal situations, such as picking up their mail, or
    answering their phones.
    Which is not germain to the discussion at hand. Some people just don't
    HAVE anyone left by the time they get that old.
    We have heat, especially in the southwest, higher than anything anywhere
    in Europe, and for longer times, but we haven't seen any high death
    rates from it.
    We have it. Have had it for many years, and have worked out ways to
    handle it. I think the main problem in Europe was that the elderly just
    didn't know how to deal with the problem.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 10, 2003
  8. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Take a look at the temps in Fort Worth. Tell me where in Europe it is
    hotter.
    MAY 103
    JUNE 113
    JULY 110
    AUG. 108
    SEPT. 108
    OCT. 106

    Those are maximum readings, and Fort Worth is considered a moderate
    climate for the US. Would you like the numbers for Phoenix, or Tuscon?

    Like I said, we are accustomed to the heat, and are equiped to handle it.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 10, 2003
  9. chibitul

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ron Hunter states:
    Fort Worth may be considered a moderate climate for the Southwest, but there' s
    no way it's moderate for the U.S. I usually live in south central Virginia,
    and we seldom see 95, never mind 100--though I do remember flying to Chicago
    about 15 years ago after several weeks of high temps, peaking at 102. I figured
    Chi would be cooler--much further north, after all. Yeah, right. IIRC, it
    topped out at 108. And the AC on the damned buses broke down.

    Charlie Self

    "The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf."
    Will Rogers

    Charlie Self, Oct 10, 2003
  10. chibitul

    Azzz1588 Guest

    You said you were french, ergo, you are a french person.
    Understand ??

    Didnt see any problems with the heat there this summer.
    Even when the power went off in NY, no one died, and it was
    hot then too.

    Something we in a civilized country can easilly deal with.
    You french must not be too advanced, or civilized.

    What a laugh, didnt read what I did when we had the hurricane did you.

    Because you wrote why should people come back from their
    vacatoins earlier because they couldnt do anything.
    (They didnt even try) You people have a very casual attitude
    about caring for others, and seem not to care much for each
    others welfare do you ??

    Better than france, where you leave them alone, and dont
    even check up on them, and let them die in an easilly preventable
    nature pattern. Impressive...................
    How come the US didnt suffer over 15,000 dead then ??

    Already been and gone here. We have the fall now.
    Dont you pay attention ??

    Azzz1588, Oct 10, 2003
  11. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Fort Worth climate is moderate, for the US as a whole. Our mean average
    temp is only in the 80's. But we DO have substantial variation.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 10, 2003
  12. chibitul

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on 10 Oct 2003 14:44:06 GMT, in this august forum,
    (Azzz1588) said:

    He's an American who lives in France.

    He's also our resident troll. Arguing with him will only make you look
    stupider than you already do.

    Lionel, Oct 10, 2003
  13. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    I STILL swear it ISN'T a "he"!

    George Kerby, Oct 10, 2003
  14. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    The latter is the result of the former. When it's always hot, you adapt
    the society to compensate for the heat (by installing air conditioning
    everywhere, for example).
    They didn't have the means, either. Most dwellings are designed to
    capture and conserve heat, not to shed it, and air conditioning is too
    rare.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 10, 2003
  15. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Where did I say that?
    See above, and then tell me who really understands.
    The heat this summer was nothing special.
    It's not a question of civilization, it's a question of deviations from
    the norm.
    I didn't say anything about people coming back from their vacations
    earlier. You did.
    People in the U.S. die before the reach the ages of the oldest people in
    France. France has one of the highest life expectancies in the world.
    It didn't suffer such an unusual heat wave.
    No, you haven't seen the heat yet. But you will. We all will.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 10, 2003
  16. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    This summer, France, Spain, Portugal, and I think also Germany and
    possibly the UK beat Fort Worth. Portugal got up to 117° F.
    I know Phoenix and Tucson very well. Everything is air-conditioned
    there. Almost nothing is air-conditioned in Paris or London.
    That's why you don't see excessive deaths.

    But try 15° F in Phoenix for a while, and see what happens. Many
    buildings in Phoenix have no heating at all.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 10, 2003
  17. Do a Google search on "mxsmanic"
    probably will get something back about "Anthony" somebody.

    Gregory W. Blank, Oct 10, 2003
  18. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    A mean temperature in the 80s is extremely hot by world standards. The
    world mean is closer to 68° F.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 10, 2003
  19. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    Oh my God!

    I just KNEW you had to be a 'Global Warning' alarmist pinhead as well at a
    troll...

    George Kerby, Oct 10, 2003
  20. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    Ah-ha!

    A previous life where he actually *liked* digital photography.

    Perhaps that was before the operation and hormone treatments turned him into
    such an argumentive bitch.

    :)

    George Kerby, Oct 10, 2003