    park scene, they shouldn't be surprised....All I'm saying is that the law
    protects the photographer in this case, and that is, (IMO) as it should
    be.......

    William Graham, Oct 8, 2003

  2. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    Canopeners?

    George Kerby, Oct 8, 2003

  3. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I don't carry a knife (apart from a very tiny credit-card Swiss knife
    thing), so I don't know the particulars. Knives larger then the
    innocent kind I carry are quite heavily regulated as weapons. Some
    require a permit.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 8, 2003
  4. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    Pizza Cutters?

    George Kerby, Oct 8, 2003
  5. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I don't know.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 8, 2003
  6. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    How 'bout puddyknives, emeryboards?

    George Kerby, Oct 8, 2003
  7. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Must be rather hard to eat steak.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 8, 2003
  8. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I can't imagine having to get a permit to buy a butcher knife. I
    wouldn't want to live in such a country.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 8, 2003
  9. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    She's French. They don't eat meat.
    :)

    George Kerby, Oct 8, 2003
  10. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I don't think so, but I'm not sure. The law is complex and vague in
    France for Category 6 weapons.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 8, 2003
  11. chibitul

    George Kerby Guest

    Well, if you can't tell me, I guess I'm forced to hire an attorney.

    Icescrapers. I want to know about them as well.

    George Kerby, Oct 8, 2003
  12. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    You don't need a permit to buy a butcher knife in France.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 9, 2003
  13. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Eating steak is a permitted circumstance. And given how steaks are
    usually prepared in France, it will have to be a very sharp, sturdy
    knife indeed.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 9, 2003
  14. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Having been clueless enough to order a steak in Belgium some years ago,
    I can certainly understand WHY.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2003
  15. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Oh, but certainly even in France people DO use them to carve eachother
    as well as the roast.... So why no permit?

    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2003
  16. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    The intent of legislators seems to be to restrict items that seem to be
    primarily intended as weapons, and not items that have some other,
    obvious primary use. A butcher's knife has an obvious use that is not
    that of a weapon; a switchblade does not.

    However, in practice, most violent crimes committed with sharp objects
    are carried out using objects that are not subject to any restrictions,
    such as box cutters, or the aforementioned butcher's knives. People use
    what they have when they become violent, and virtually anything can be
    used as a weapon in a pinch.

    Even a camera can be used as a blunt weapon of sorts, although it's very
    expensive.

    Mxsmanic, Oct 9, 2003
  17. chibitul

    Azzz1588 Guest

    No, but lack of air conditioning seems to be a real problem there.
    But that just goes alnog with their lack of caring for the elderly.....

    Azzz1588, Oct 9, 2003
  18. chibitul

    Mxsmanic Guest

    In hot weather, it is a serious problem. Hot weather used to be rare,
    but it is becoming more and more common, unfortunately. I do have an
    air conditioner in my apartment for that reason.
    I'm not aware of any lack of care for the elderly. The main reason for
    the high death rate during the heat wave was a lack of air conditioning,
    but most French people don't seem to realize that, perhaps because, like
    most Europeans, they don't understand hot weather and the necessity of
    air conditioning, which they still consider a decadent luxury (in
    contrast to heating, which is acknowledged to be a necessity).

    Mxsmanic, Oct 9, 2003
  19. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I always wondered how professional boxes travel since the laws enacted
    in the US since 9/11. Aren't they required to have their hands
    confiscated, or pack them in baggage? Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2003
  20. chibitul

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Perhaps with the recent publicity more old people will get the idea that
    heat CAN be deadly for them. Certainly where I live, no one has ever
    doubted it!

    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2003