Takes forever to burn a DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Ray K, May 27, 2007.

  1. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    A simple project: make a DVD-R consisting of just two 20-minute wma
    files, unaltered in any way by me. Took about three hours to burn it;
    plays perfectly.

    Software: Roxio Creator 8 Suite Home, v3.0.0. After burning, DVD is
    closed, so nothing more can be added to it. The "verify data written to
    disc after burning" box is not checked.

    Burner: Lite-on sohw-1633s (nominal burn speed, 16x). Device Manager
    shows the driver to be a standard Microsoft one, dated 11/14/99. Lite-on
    has a firmware update dated 12/16/05 that I have not installed yet.

    Computer: Processor - AMD, about 1 GHz); 512MB.

    OS: W2K, SP4.

    I've looked for hidden settings in the Roxio program that may affect
    burn speed, but can't find any. Any other ideas for speeding things up?
    Burner records CDs at a very good speed (over 24x, even though Roxio
    reports target speed as 48x).

    Thanks,

    Ray

    Ray K, May 27, 2007

  2. Ray K

    def456 Guest

    What was the total size of the files to be burned (in GB)?
    What speed was it set to burn at? It sounds like yours burned at 1x or less.
    What brand of disc was used, and what are its certified burn speeds?
    You might need to install the firmware update.

    def456, May 27, 2007

  3. Ray K

    Dave Garrett Guest

    Your drive settings may have reverted to PIO from DMA. I'd never heard
    of this until recently, and sure enough it had happened on my machine as
    well (AMD Athlon XP1700+, 1GB, also running W2K). Check out these links
    for more info:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

    http://www.aiscl.co.uk/How_to_ForceDMA.htm

    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t247623.html

    http://sniptools.com/tipstricks/getting-back-to-dma-mode-in-windows-xp

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, May 28, 2007
  4. Ray K

    Jeff Guest

    The source of your problem is right in your first sentence. You cannot
    simply burn wma files to a disc to make a DVD. They must first be
    transcoded to VOB files that meet certains standards for frame size and
    audio/video bit rates. The first 90% of the three hours was transcoding
    and the remainder was the actual burning of the converted files.

    Jeff, May 29, 2007
  5. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    Jeff,

    You've hit the nail on the head. In following the suggestions of the
    other guys, I updated my burner firmware, the Roxio suite to 8.05, and
    uninstalled the secondary IDE channel. I didn't try the registry changes
    to force DMA because I'm not using XP.

    (For the record, before uninstalling the IDE channel, the settings for
    both devices on both channels were as follows: Device type: Auto
    Detection (grayed); Transfer Mode: DMA if available; Current Transfer
    Mode: Ultra DMA (grayed). After rebooting, the secondary channel
    returned with the Transfer Mode defaulted to PIO only; I set it to DMA
    if available.)

    I started burning with all the above changes. Still the snail's pace. As
    I looked closer at the progress display, I saw that what's taking so
    long is an encoding process. So far, it has taken 20 minutes to encode
    7% of the first 20-minute movie. None of the lights on the burner are on
    during this phase, so the actual burning probably will occur at high
    speed once the encoding finally ends.

    While this was going on, I returned to this NG and read Jeff's post.
    It's clear that's he has identified the real problem.

    Now the question becomes, how to speed the conversion to VOB? Are there
    specialty programs that could do it faster than what's included with the
    Roxio program?

    While it's moot at this point, in response to def456 I am using Maxell
    4.7GB DVD-R 8X blanks. Dave, the wonderful links you thoughtfully
    provided are mainly geared to XP, so as noted above I didn't try
    registry changes.

    Thanks to all.

    Ray

    Ray K, May 29, 2007
  6. Ray K

    AZ Nomad Guest

    There isn't much you can do. The program has to uncompress every single frame,
    resize, and recompress using a different video standard. Depending on the
    quality of the transcode and your computer setup, it can take three to six hours
    for every hour of video.

    Typically there are two solutions:
    use a quick'n'dirty algorithm that'll make your video look like an ipod video.

    throw lots of processor at it. Is it worth a grand to you to get the time
    down to 90 minutes?

    AZ Nomad, May 29, 2007
  7. Ray K

    Jeff Guest

    I regularly use ConvertXtoDVD to transcode full length movies in about an
    hour. This is with a 2.6 GHz processor so on yours it might be a little
    longer. The real load on the PC when transcoding is in hard disk I/O so
    the processor speed doesn't play a big part in the time.

    Jeff, May 29, 2007
  8. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    I just completed some timing tests. The project consisted simply of the
    original two 20-minute wmv files, each about 165 MB, plus a third
    20-minute, 165-MB wmv file that completed the series. Start-to-finish
    time was 5 hours, 44 minutes. The actual DVD burn time was only 8
    minutes, which is about 7.5x (60 minutes viewing time burned in 8
    minutes), close to the 8x rated speed of the Maxell DVD-R blank. The
    first 5 hours, 36 minutes were used, in this order: encoding movie 1,
    then 2, then 3, and finally encoding the menu, which itself took at
    least 30 minutes.

    The 8 minutes to burn the DVD was a mere 2.3 percent of the 344-minute
    start-to-finish time.

    I wonder how fast things would go if I had 6GB of RAM that I could use
    as an electronic "hard" drive to hold the original wmv files as well as
    the newly encoded ones.

    Thanks, again, to all.

    Ray

    Ray K, May 29, 2007
  9. Ray K

    john smith Guest

    While VSO's ConvertXtoDVD is pretty good, it's also interminably slow. If
    you want ease and speed I'd go with WinAVIVideoConverter which lets you
    convert between a whole range of formats (WMV, AVI, MPEG, etc.) and only
    takes about 20 minutes to author a 700MB file...

    john smith, May 29, 2007
  10. Ray K

    Ray K Guest

    The size of my three wmv files together is 482MB. The size of the
    resulting six vob files, including the opening menu, is 3.07GB. So if
    you mean 20 minutes to produce a 700MB vob file, my project would take
    88 minutes (20 x 3.07/.7 = 88) - a vast improvement compared to 5+
    hours. Have I done the math right?

    Ray K, May 29, 2007
  11. Ray K

    AZ Nomad Guest

    It would probably take the same amount of time. It's a cpu bound job and
    if you have enough ram then putting ten times as much on the system won't
    make one bit of difference.

    AZ Nomad, May 30, 2007
  12. Ray K

    webvideo2006 Guest