Take ownership with right-click

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Nov 3, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Taking ownership of a file or folder may be a little cumbersome.
    I found this reg file on the web
    (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=852) that adds a
    righ-click option "Take Ownership" when right-clicking in windows explorer.
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant
    administrators:F"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant
    administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\"
    /grant administrators:F /t"

    Save it as a .reg file.
    Click on it and you are done.

    Carlos

    Guest, Nov 3, 2007

  2. Guest

    Kue2 Guest

    Works nicely once I d/led the zip. Thks. I saved the hkey script as a
    reg,but it would not merge into registry. So I d/led the zip extracted to a
    temp dir & ran it & it worked.....fine. I think in my haste I highlighted
    the > in copying the script........lol.

    Kue2, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hugh,
    I'm glad it did.
    If you feel like investigating/tweaking this afternoon, go here:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/category/application-software/operating-systems/windows-vista/
    It is the site where I found that reg tweak.
    Carlos

    Guest, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Guest

    Kue2 Guest

    Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!!!! much appreciated.

    Kue2, Nov 3, 2007
  5. Guest

    Clayton Guest

    Why when I try to take ownership it is saying

    "This program does not have a program associtaed with it for perfoming this
    action. Create an association in the Set Associsations control panel."

    Clayton, Nov 5, 2007
  6. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Clayton,

    Did you add the following line at the beginning of the reg file?

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    The contents of the reg file should be:

    Jane C, Nov 5, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for jumping in, Jane!

    Guest, Nov 5, 2007
  8. Guest

    Clayton Guest

    Below is what I have

    Clayton, Nov 5, 2007
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Clayton,
    If you still have troubles, download the zip file from the supplied link.
    You will have to register first but it is fast and free of charge.
    Carlos

    Guest, Nov 5, 2007
  10. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Clayton,

    When you copy the text into notepad, do File, Save As, name it TakeOwn.reg,
    and select "All Files" as the "save as type". If you don't, then it will
    end up with a .txt extension after the .reg bit :)

    Jane C, Nov 5, 2007
  11. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    :)

    Jane C, Nov 5, 2007
  12. Guest

    Clayton Guest

    Thanks, I downloaded the zip file and copied the file TakeControlOf.cmd to
    C:\ and ran TakeControlOf C:\
    and it started running SUCCESS for 10 mins, but that didn't work, now some
    of my application shortcuts has lost it's icon and does not open, I think I
    screwed up somewhere along the line, I'm usually pretty good at following
    instructions

    Clayton, Nov 6, 2007
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Clayton,
    I am not quite sure you downloaded the right zip file.
    The one I mention, once unzipped, contains a *.reg file.
    There's no *.cmd file in there.
    You install the *.reg by clicking (or double-clicking, depends on your
    setup) on it.
    And that is all about it.
    From there on you get the right-click context menu "Take Ownership" in
    Windows Explorer.
    No reboot required.
    Jane C posted an excellent description in this thread of how to save the
    text I posted as a *.reg file.

    Carlos

    Guest, Nov 6, 2007
  14. Guest

    Clayton Guest

    I have done excaclly what Jane suggested and also downloaded the file
    TakeControlOf.zip from http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=116
    but inside this zip file is a file called TakeControlOf.cmd, no .reg file,
    so now I am confused.
    At least when I right click on the folder it shows Take Ownership so I must
    be half way there

    Clayton, Nov 6, 2007
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Nov 7, 2007
  16. Guest

    Clayton Guest

    Now we are cooking with gas, all works now

    cheers

    Clayton, Nov 7, 2007