    presume to download said games).

    Mention has been made of the Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Can anyone point me
    at similar/better devices?

    Crash, Oct 9, 2013

  2. The iPad is the only thing to get as its used a lot in schools and far
    more reliable that a Android one..

    Frank Williams, Oct 9, 2013

  3. Another point should a 5 year old be playing with such a device, seems
    like the parents are copping out with there responsibilities.

    Plus the medical proof that it stuffing up there eye site.

    Frank Williams, Oct 9, 2013
  4. Crash

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    I have an ASUS TF101 that our six year old Son plays on and watches
    converted oops I mean backup DVD's on. If your Sister doesn't mind
    paying for the games then an iPad may be the way to go. His cousins
    have an iPad but like to play on the ASUS because the free games (eg
    angry birds) are limited on the iPad but not on the ASUS.

    Not sure in NZ but kindles and nooks are popular around here.

    Malcolm, Oct 9, 2013
  5. For a 5 year old ? ... wait until the "one day" sites (and similar) have
    another of the "10 inch android tablets for $50" deals would be my
    recommendation. :)

    We have something similar (but it cost a few more $$) and it seems rock
    solid. Android 4.0, 8 GB.

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 14, 2013
  6. Crash

    Enkidu Guest

    I was disappointed with my cheap Android 10inch tablet. The Wifi is
    rubbish. I can be three feet from the router and it will be having
    problems. The iPad just works all the way into the bedroom (like all
    Apple stuff, but that's no fun, eh?)

    To all of you with smutty minds, the bedroom's the furthest point from
    the router!

    Cheers,

    Clif

    Enkidu, Oct 14, 2013
  7. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Thanks for all the responses. The Tab2 was a recommendation from my
    grandsons new Primary School - but I doubt that had 5-year=old new
    entrants in mind for this hardware.

    My daughter thought that about $200 would be all that was needed so
    she was happy when I found the $98 special at Harvey Norman (7" screen
    but the rest of the specs not a lot lower than the Tab2).

    A lot has changed since I started school (1955)!!

    Crash, Oct 14, 2013
  8. <evil chuckle> ... he said "router" ... :)

    I anything is not the answer, it's the question. The answer remains "no" (or
    possibly "hell no!"). :)

    Remember ... "for a 5 year old".

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 14, 2013
  9. Crash

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Oct 15, 2013
  10. My granddaughter has been using the iPad since well before she was 5.[/QUOTE]

    I blame the parents. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 16, 2013
  11. I blame the parents. :)[/QUOTE]

    Yes totally bad parenting, you need to be active with you child, this
    seems a big copout, you cant be bothered to be with your child, so palm
    it off with a tablet..

    They should be banned.

    Frank Williams, Oct 16, 2013
  12. Crash

    bugalugs Guest

    Yes totally bad parenting, you need to be active with you child, this
    seems a big copout, you cant be bothered to be with your child, so palm
    it off with a tablet..

    They should be banned.
    [/QUOTE]
    Children should be banned ???

    That's a bit radical isn't it ???

    bugalugs, Oct 16, 2013
  13.
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 16, 2013
  14. Crash

    Enkidu Guest

    Yes totally bad parenting, you need to be active with you child, this
    seems a big copout, you cant be bothered to be with your child, so palm
    it off with a tablet..

    They should be banned.
    [/QUOTE]
    Au contraire, she always shows me what she has learnt on the iPad when
    she comes round.

    Add tablets to the list of things that are "bad parenting" like TV, PCs,
    laptop, console games, and now tablets. People will always say that the
    latest thing is bad for kids.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 16, 2013
  15. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Yes totally bad parenting, you need to be active with you child, this
    seems a big copout, you cant be bothered to be with your child, so palm
    it off with a tablet..

    They should be banned.[/QUOTE]

    Roger you remind me of my days as a child in Auckland . Back then TV
    was being introduced and IIRC my parents bought their first 'TV set'
    in 1961.

    There was great controversy at the time and many believed TV would do
    to us then what you say tablets will do to youngsters now. History
    teaches us that new technology always brings it challenges but the
    doomsayers overestimate the corrosiveness of change versus the new
    opportunities that change brings with it.

    From time to time I talk to my grandchildren about what it was like
    before TV and PCs. No doubt this will evolve in the years to come.
    One thing for sure is that we will all either die or adapt.

    For those interested this is an interesting chronicle of TV history in
    NZ:

    http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/culture/tv-history

    Found of course using that great purveyor of all things bad - Google.

    Crash, Oct 16, 2013
  16. Crash

    Gordon Guest

    And the people they grow up into are often just the same. Human, who would
    want to be one eh?

    Gordon, Oct 20, 2013
  17. Bruce Sinclair, Oct 21, 2013