    does it work/do I do it? Thanks.

    Hey, to celebrate the turkey I uninstalled Netscape 7.1:)

    Brad

    avalanche, Nov 28, 2004

  2. avalanche

    Travis Evans Guest

    Hi!

    Tabbed browsing allows you to open several web pages at once in a single
    browser window (rather than having a bunch of browser windows floating
    around, one for each page). The pages will be represented by a row of
    tabs on the screen, and you can switch between open pages by clicking
    the tabs.

    My favorite use for this is if I see a whole bunch of links on a page I
    want to look at. I can immediately open them all in tabs, and can
    continue to read the original page while I'm waiting for all those tabs
    to finish loading. Then by the time I'm finished reading the original
    page, most of the tabs are finished loading, so I can then switch to
    those and see them right away. It's a lot faster than clicking one
    link, waiting for it to load, and then going back and choosing another
    link, and waiting for it to load, etc.

    You can open a link in a new tab by right-clicking it and choosing "Open
    link in new tab." Depending on your settings, you may be able to open
    tabs by simply pressing the middle mouse button on a link, if you have
    one (for mice with wheels, you can usually press the wheel down for a
    middle-click).

    If you look around in the preferences (Tools menu > Options for Firefox
    on Windows, or Edit > Preferences for Mozilla, and Firefox on Linux),
    you should be able to find some options for tabbed browsing, such as
    having new tabs load in the background (instead of the browser showing
    them right away when you open them).

    Travis Evans, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
    Travis Evans is about to speak:
    How is this done? I know how to open a single link in a tab but how do
    I open all of them at once?

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Middle click on all the links to open them in new tabs. Using Tabbed
    Browser Extensions, I set the tabs to open in the background.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
    Leonidas Jones is about to speak:
    Ah. Is there a keyboard shortcut? I'm using a notebook and have no
    "middle click".

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, Nov 28, 2004
  6. avalanche

    Travis Evans Guest

    If you hold the Ctrl key down while left-clicking a link, it should open
    in a new tab. Or, right click the link and choose "Open in new tab" from
    the menu.

    Travis Evans, Nov 29, 2004
  7. avalanche

    Travis Evans Guest

    There are some extensions that you can use to do this. The Extension
    Room has a list of extensions:
    http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/

    One you might try is Linky. It allows you to open all links on a page in
    new tabs, or all selected (highlighted) links in new tabs.
    http://gemal.dk/mozilla/linky.html

    Travis Evans, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
    Travis Evans is about to speak:
    This one works great, thanks.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, Nov 29, 2004
  9. [CTRL-T] will open a new, empty tab.

    John Thompson, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Eenie Meenie Chili Beanie
    John Thompson is about to speak:
    Sigh, yes, thank you. I was looking for a way to open multiple links
    from a single page into multiple tabs, all at once. Travis Evans
    suggested the Linky extension, and that's doing a perfect job.

    Thanks again.

    **
    Captain Infinity

    Captain Infinity, Nov 30, 2004
  11. avalanche

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    Just right-click on the link and select tab from the menu.

    :: BRIAN ::, Nov 30, 2004
  12. avalanche

    Laurie Guest

    I had/have been using SlimBrowser for the last year or so. It does
    tabbed browsing in what seems to be a much simpler way: every link you
    click on just opens in a new tab automatically. Every address you type
    in, or every term entered into the google toolbar just opens a new tab
    as well. No right clicking, middle clicking, or Control-clicking. Wish
    Firefox was so simple.

    My only problem with SlimBrowser is that it is an IE overlay, and I'd
    rather get away from IE because of the security issues, which is why I'm
    trying out Firefox. But...I don't think it's going to pan out for me.
    Will keep playing with it for a while longer to see if it grows on me.

    Laurie

    Laurie, Dec 9, 2004
  13. avalanche

    :: BRIAN :: Guest

    If that's what you like... but to me, it's just the opposite of hating
    new windows opening instead of tabs. I don't like tabs to open unless I
    want one. Is there a way to *not* open a new tab with SlimBrowser?
    IMHO, choice is a good thing. You can choose to set up Firefox to open
    all links in tabs; you just need to install a simple little extension.
    Anyway, just how hard is clicking the middle mouse button instead of the
    left one? I think it's great.
    Install one of the "tab" extensions then... and get your "tab always"
    feature.
    "dash dash space enter", another signature that could have been
    automatically removed... .

    :: BRIAN ::, Dec 10, 2004