system32\config files missing again!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by [email protected], Jan 6, 2005.

  1. This is driving me up the wall, a few weeks ago I got a missing
    system32\config on boot up, several reformats later after reoccurrence of
    said problem I posted the problem on here, with some advice (and a
    comprehensive search on google) I decided that faulty Ram may be the culprit
    and so purchased a new stick ands removed the previous one. That was just
    before Xmas, and all seemed well, no problems shutting down and restarting,
    however this evening I had to restart the pc after a program install and the
    problem was there again, luckily I had made a back up of all the files on
    the pc and using ASR managed to get the pc back working , it seems to last a
    few days or even a couple of weeks but then it boots up and the missing
    system32\system\config error comes back, I have tried all the repair stuff
    but dont get the option from the set up to repair the installation on c
    drive, the only other option is to run through set up and use ASR. I am at a
    loss here, any help would be very gratefully recieved.

    I am leaning towards buying a new hard drive as I think there may be some
    problem there, I haVE a utility that says the fitness of the main hard
    drive is not what it should be...?
    I am really stumped

    win xp professional
    256mb ram
    1800+ amd chip
    gigabyte 7dxr mobo

    [email protected], Jan 6, 2005

  2. D@z

    Rob K Guest

    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:03:16 -0000, [email protected] wrote:

    FWIW, I would not look at a RAM issue first. I'd look at the HD.

    "The fitness is not what it should be" ... OK what make/model is it, how
    old is the drive, what utility and what does it say, verbatim ?

    Did XP ever run a chkdsk automatically at boot-up ?

    Rob K, Jan 6, 2005