System-resources:Difference between x86/x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by mabra, Jul 16, 2006.

  1. mabra

    mabra Guest

    Hi All !

    There is one - possibly - big thing with my current x64 installation.

    Previously, when I make larger search sessions in the net with IE, I was
    out of system resources and could no longer open new browsers [somewhere
    between 10 and 15]. This happens also to other applications and if one
    terminate some [anyway which], one can create new instances. I never
    found the reason for this. My free memory was usually not the problem
    and I could not see my box to have reach system internal restrictions [I
    am talking about "Windows Server 2000"].

    While new to my x64 installation ["Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition"],
    I registered some time, that I have 24 IEs open, 12 Explorer and a
    douzend other programs without any problems. Then I made a
    hardcore-test:I wrote a script, which tries to instantiate 1000 [!!!] IE
    instances. Ok, tt crashed at 123 [never reached this limit really ;-) ].
    So this is very astounding. Then I started 20 videos playing at the same
    time, opened a countless number of other [filesystem-]explorer and more
    other programs. Nearly no limit to reach!!!! And I could really work
    without any limitations and the performance was very goof [I have a
    dualc-core Opteron 850].

    Is there someout out, who has the competence to see/understand, if the
    is caused by x64 or such that, that my old box has only had 512M, while
    my new ones has 2.048 ???? But the "direct free memory" is possibly not
    the problem, there was always enough memory free and on my x64 version,
    the system cache sometimes occupies 1.5 GB of memeory ;-)

    Some hinst would be really great [especially, as I currently think to
    got back to x86, because I am missing too many things].

    Thanks a lot and
    best regards,
    Manfred

    mabra, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Hello Manfred,
    It sounds like you were running out of Desktop Heap as a resource.
    The amount of Desktop Heap is greater in x64 editions of Windows which is
    why you can run more instances of Internet Explorer.
    Here is the link to the 32-bit version of desktop heap monitor, Not seeing
    the x64 download version.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=244A31E7-9E30-4C6C-
    8C47-88190FFDD308&displaylang=en
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:37:01 +0200
    <From: mabra <[email protected]>
    <Subject: System-resources:Difference between x86/x64
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Hi All !
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 17, 2006

  3. mabra

    John Barnes Guest

    On x64 or x86 I have had no problem having 30+ IE windows, OE, and 11
    windows of a trading program I use open at the same time on my machine. I
    do it every day (mostly now on x64).

    John Barnes, Jul 17, 2006
  4. mabra

    mabra Guest

    Hi,

    and much thanks!

    I'll give it a try at my company machine, were I mostly have that
    problem;This is a x86 world.

    Much thanks for the pointer!

    Best regards,
    Manfred

    mabra, Jul 17, 2006
  5. mabra

    mabra Guest

    Hi,

    and much thanks!

    I have had the problem on most of my machines. The first time, I never
    faced this, was my new x64 machine, so I thought, it could be, it has
    more "some resources" then I ever had.

    I'll look at one of my "problem"-machines (x86) with the "Desktop Heap
    Monitor", Darrell Gorter[MSFT] gave/pointed me to.

    Best regards,
    Manfred

    mabra, Jul 17, 2006