    512 MB RAM
    lastest bios
    Maxtor 40 GB HD

    Guest, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Guest

    Chet Guest

    A few months ago there was a virus going around that caused frequent
    reboots. Have you run a virus scan with current definitions?

    Chet, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Guest

    Night_Seer Guest

    Blaster worm could be doing it. Unplug the thing from the internet, and
    start it in safe mode, and try turning on the windows firewall
    temporarily. If it works ok unplugged from the internet, then its is a
    worm. Unless you don't have it connected to the internet at all, then
    its something else.

    Night_Seer, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Good point, but I don't think this is a virus. The machine is connected to
    our network with a corporate edition of antivirus with all the updates. I
    did try installing the drive in another machine and it would hang on the
    opening screen of windows. I am going to install a new hard drive.

    Thanks for your feeback

    Guest, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Guest

    mark mandel Guest

    Well, if it's hanging on another machine, then that pretty much rules out
    the power supply or cpu(which is what I would have also considered).

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Guest

    mike Guest

    "> Well, if it's hanging on another machine, then that pretty much rules out
    you can't just install a drive with an operating system in another machine
    and expect it to boot unless the machine is basicaly identical
    are you able to boot to safe mode? have you recently installed any new
    software? Have you recenlty done any windows updates? The problem can be
    virutally anything from hardware to software related including viruses an
    incomplete install of service packs will do this as well. determine what
    happend just before this started and go from there

    mike, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Guest

    Night_Seer Guest

    Even so, this worm spreads itself pretty quickly. As soon as I
    installed windows XP on my Dads Computer, I found out it already had the
    worm, and I didn't even go on the Internet, just hooking it up to the
    network is all it took. I would run the virus check anyways.

    Night_Seer, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Guest

    mark mandel Guest

    Uh......... you should be asking the guy who posted this originally & not
    me.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Jan 27, 2004
  9. Guest

    Trent© Guest

    Its SUPPOSED to hang when you do that! lol

    Boot into a system disk...then access the hard drive. If it doesn't
    reboot, you simply have a software problem.

    Turn off the option in w2k to reboot on critical errors. That's
    probably why its rebooting.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

    Trent©, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Guest

    Eric Guest

    It could be caused by corrupted files, corrupted registry.

    Eric, Jan 29, 2004