System keeps rebooting

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RN, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. RN

    RN Guest

    I may have picked up a virus but not sure. I updated my Norton
    anti-virus yesterday (the 18th) and Windows SP 4 was up to date. I am
    running Windows 2000. I ran an anti-virus check, a trojans check with
    'The Cleaner' and an adware check with spybot all before shutting my
    computer down last night and did not find anything.

    However, this morning my system will not start up. It goes thought the
    boot process, indicates it is starting windows then a very brief blue
    screen with text in the top left hand corner (but too fast to read and
    esc doesn't stop) then the computer reboots. The whole process starts
    over and over and over and over.

    I tried to start in the safe mode but the same restart problem exists. I
    use Go Back and tried to revert back but again the restart problem
    happens and will not let me revert. I do have a start up disk and I can
    start the computer with that but the C drive is not found (or any hard
    drive).

    Anyone help? Is this the effects of a virus or do I have something wrong?
    How can I correct this and get my system back? Please help

    Thank you

    RN, Sep 19, 2003

  2. RN

    Charlie T. Guest

    I would try going into your system BIOS and seeing if it recognizes your
    hard drive(s), memory, etc.; and if anything looks strange there, use that
    as a starting point. Your memory might have gone bad. I don't know much
    about viruses that hit the BIOS, but I know it's possible, so if nothing
    else works, you might try resetting the BIOS to factory defaults.

    HTH,

    Charlie T.

    Charlie T., Sep 20, 2003