    one?
    cheers
    dan

    Dan Welch, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Dan Welch

    why? Guest

    System is idle 80-95% of the time.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=idle&db=*
    i·dle ( P )
    adj. i·dler, i·dlest
    1. Not employed or busy: idle carpenters. See Synonyms at
    inactive.
    2. Avoiding work or employment; lazy: shiftless, idle youth.
    See Synonyms at lazy.
    3. Not in use or operation: idle hands.

    www.google.com
    Searched the web for
    "system idle process"
    <snip>

    c/o Mike sigs.
    Basic computer maintenance

    Me

    why?, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Dan Welch

    HamMan Guest

    oh, for gods sake man, what does 'system idle process' sound like? its the
    free processor cycles that have to be accounted for to make the other
    reasons accurate.

    speeding up an XP system:

    1. Start > Run 'sfc /scannow'
    2. Defragment it
    3. Unisntall Norton, install AVG
    4. Run the various spyware removal tools
    5. Defragment the hard disk
    6. Intall at least another 512Mb of RAM

    hamman

    HamMan, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Dan Welch

    °Mike° Guest

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    WinPatrol
    http://www.winpatrol.com/

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php

    Services Guide for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Windows XP Service Configurations
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    Windows XP Strange Service Information
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    Windows 2000 Service Configurations
    http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

    °Mike°, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Dan Welch

    Dan Welch Guest

    yeah, well, I thought it was probably what it says it was... but the system
    was very very slow and that was the only show in town! I wondered if it was
    a screen saver trying to activate or something.
    cheers
    dan

    Dan Welch, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Dan Welch

    Patrick Guest

    [main question snipped]
    'Scandisk' has been dropped from XP, it has been replaced by 'chkdsk'
    The WinXP interface for 'chkdsk' is; Properties for drive (right-click,
    click 'Properties'), select 'Tools' menu, click 'Check Now' button.
    Command line interface for 'chkdsk' (help/parameters/switches) type at
    command-prompt; chkdsk /?

    Patrick, Feb 16, 2004