System and System Restore Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Willy Skass, May 17, 2005.

  1. Willy Skass

    Willy Skass Guest

    I asked this in a M$ group, but the couple of replies I got did not
    really address the problem, so let me try here. (Given my experience
    with this group (ting), maybe I should have come here first.

    Anyway, I'm not quite sure how to explain my problem, so please bear
    with me. I went to check a Web-based Email account (not my primary)
    and I noticed the IE screen was set at what looked like a 1024 X 768
    setting. I knew this was wrong, as my wife and I are both sight
    impaired, and we have it set at 800 X 600.

    Anyway, I checked other programs and they were the same, small 1024 X
    768. I went to check my screen resolution settings, and it was set at
    800 X 600.

    I did a deep virus scan with McAfee and found nothing. I did a trojan
    check and found nothing out of the ordinary. I figured I'd use System
    Restore, but discovered I had no restore dates on file (I have used
    this before, so I know that it did work). The only date I can restore
    to is the current date, I can't even get the calendar to go back.

    I am running WXP Pro w/SP2 I have absolutely no idea where to go or
    what to do, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

    Oh, also, if worse comes to worse, can I just go ahead and do a
    format/c and re-install XP? I have the program disk, not a "restore
    disc".

    TIA

    Willy Skass, May 17, 2005

  2. Willy Skass

    Unk Guest

    You can reinstall System Restore with these steps:

    1. Click Start, Run, In the Run box, type "C:\windows\inf" without the quotes and press enter.
    2. Look for SR.INF and RightClick on it, then select "Install"

    Follow the prompts, Reboot and System Restore will be ready to use.

    http://www.updatexp.com/rstrui-exe-entry-point-not-found.html
    Select S and scroll to System Restore

    Unk, May 17, 2005

  3. Willy Skass

    Plato Guest

    tin* codes are silly and make no sense.

    Plato, May 17, 2005
  4. Willy Skass

    MrGrumpy Guest

    Have you checked your graphics adapter driver/software?
    Did you update graphics driver via win update?

    MrGrumpy, May 17, 2005
  5. Willy Skass

    Ron Martell Guest

    If your computer's display properties say that the video is set to 800
    x 600 then that it what is being displayed. I have never
    encountered, and can find no references anywhere to a documented
    situation in Windows where the actual resolution being displayed was
    different from the settings in display properties.

    What may have happened is that your display settings were changed not
    for the screen resolution but for dpi and/or for font sizes.

    Go into Display Properties - Settings and click on the Advanced
    button. The DPI setting may have been changed to a value that is less
    than the standard 96 dpi. If so then change it back to the 96 dpi.
    And if it is at 96 dpi try changing it to 120 dpi to get larger
    characters etc.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, May 17, 2005
  6. I'm guessing that somehow or another you've managed to change the text size
    under IE.

    On the IE menu bar go to "view"-->"text size" and be sure that it is set to
    at least medium or larger.

    Oxford Systems, May 17, 2005
  7. Willy Skass

    Willy Skass Guest

    I want to thank everyone that responded to my problem. While using
    some of the solutions offered, I found more and more problems with my
    system. My only option now is to format the drive and do a clean
    install. I have the system disk, and not a manufacturers "restore"
    disk or an "up-grade".

    That leaves me with one last question: I recently upgraded to WinXP,
    and I'm still learning. I assume that it's the same as other Windows
    systems; format c and do an install. Or am I missing something?

    Thanks

    Willy

    Willy Skass, May 18, 2005
  8. Willy Skass

    MrGrumpy Guest

    You pop the install disk in and follow whatever your desire -
    format/partition whatever

    MrGrumpy, May 18, 2005