    programs I need everyday and I would rather not reinstall the operation
    system.

    Ana

    AnnAnne, Apr 3, 2005

  2. AnnAnne

    JANA Guest

    Can you post the exact details of the error. If you get an error box, on the
    lower left should be a Details button. Click on that, and post the exact
    contents. Your question is too vague.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    I've traced "explorer.exe has generated errors..." and "drwtsn32.exe has
    generated errors...", which invariably appear when I open any program, to
    missing symbol file.

    I've studied the page "Debugging Tools and Symbols: Getting Started" from
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/debugtart.mspx?pf+true.

    I'm not sure I fully understand, and lack confidence to try. Is there any
    other way to get the symbol file restored? The computer is running many

    JANA, Apr 3, 2005

  3. AnnAnne

    PennyWise Guest

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:26:40 GMT, "AnnAnne"

    |>I've traced "explorer.exe has generated errors..." and "drwtsn32.exe has
    |>generated errors...", which invariably appear when I open any program, to
    |>missing symbol file.
    |>
    |>I've studied the page "Debugging Tools and Symbols: Getting Started" from
    |>http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/debugtart.mspx?pf+true.
    |>
    |>I'm not sure I fully understand, and lack confidence to try. Is there any
    |>other way to get the symbol file restored? The computer is running many
    |>programs I need everyday and I would rather not reinstall the operation
    |>system.

    You don't need the symbol files unless your running a debugger.
    drwtsn32 isn't a debugger, just an error trap.

    You will never have need of a debugger.

    PennyWise, Apr 3, 2005
  4. AnnAnne

    DaveW Guest

    You do have a problem, but unfortunately it is not simply the lack
    of "symbol files" that is causing it.

    The "symbol files" are "installed" on the system as an "option" for
    debugging purposes and are not "restored" or even included on the
    Windows Install Disk as vital or necessary files.

    With more information about the errors someone here MAY be able to
    help you but don't hold your breath. This is usually the result of
    corrupted, misbehaving or virus infected files which are often
    difficult to track down.

    DaveW, Apr 3, 2005
  5. AnnAnne

    AnnAnne Guest

    I used to get the error box which said that explorer.exe has generated
    errors and will be closed.
    A few moments later another message would say that drwtsn.exe has generated
    errors and will be closed.
    The details in drwtsn error messages had indicated 2 tmp files, but they're
    not where indicated.
    I know there should be log files and I have read one, but I cannot find the
    location.

    I have been trying to locate the log file for days, but these last few days,
    since I uninstalled the WildTangent component in Firefox, drwtsn has not
    appeared yet.

    So now I am free of drwtsn, but the explorer.exe error remains. Where is its
    log file?

    Ana

    AnnAnne, Apr 5, 2005
  6. AnnAnne

    AnnAnne Guest

    I have repeated scan for virus, trojan, malware, with most of the scanners
    online,
    offline and free trial that one can name.
    A couple came up with Wild Tangent (I couldn't believe this of Firefox, but
    there it is)
    installed as a component of Firefox.
    Trouble started after I cleaned Wild Tagent. In another post in this thread
    I mentioned
    that eventually removing the component files and Firefox altogether seem to
    stop drwtsn from visiting,
    but I'm still left with the "explorer.exe generated errors" problem, and the
    fact that I can't locate the log file.

    Ana

    AnnAnne, Apr 5, 2005
  7. AnnAnne

    DaveW Guest

    One POSSIBLE fix for the problem is to REinstall Firefox/WildTanget
    and then use the "add/remove programs" to remove WildTangent or
    Firefox if WildTangent isn't listed separately.

    The log file (DrWatson you are looking for?) should be in the
    Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson folder.

    DaveW, Apr 5, 2005
  8. AnnAnne

    AnnAnne Guest

    There are 2 log files I'm looking for.

    1. DrWatson, which is not in All Users folder. In fact there is no folder
    named "Documents" listed. BUT when I try to created a "Documents" folder, it
    seems one already exists. So where is this invisible folder?

    2. The log file for "Program Error" report. This error occurs after the
    shortcut icons for the desktop are loaded, together with a depleted set in
    the systray. After this error message closes, the whole desktop except
    wallpaper disappears, windows flashes, and loads an entirely different
    desktop, with a full set of icons in the systray.

    Perhaps if I know the file names and extension I may do a search for them.

    Thanks for the tip about firefox, I'll give it a try.

    Ana

    AnnAnne, Apr 5, 2005
  9. AnnAnne

    AnnAnne Guest

    Thank you. I wasn't comfortable with meddling with a debugger, but this was
    the only page with reference to symbol file.

    Ana

    AnnAnne, Apr 5, 2005
  10. AnnAnne

    DaveW Guest

    Documents... hmmmmm.... well if it says it already exists than it
    does.
    It is not shown as being hidden or system file my computer, but set
    your folder options to show hidden files, display contents of system
    folders, and maybe even un-hide protected system files and see if it
    suddenly appears.

    The watson log is DRWTSN.LOG if you want to search your drive for
    it.
    Don't know about the report log.

    Also view the events log (administrative tools) for more information
    about the errors and maybe other things happening that are leading
    up or causing the error(s). It may even tell you WHERE a log is
    being written if a log/report is written.

    DaveW, Apr 6, 2005
  11. AnnAnne

    AnnAnne Guest

    I've searched in vain for the drwtsn and explorer error logs. Both with
    Explorer and another file search tool.
    I have copied an event log, the last one which occurred. According to
    Details of the error page, this event was supposed to have been logged as
    ......\temp\53e3_appcompat.txt, but it's nowhere to be found.

    The strange thing is that after this error, windows flashed, reloaded, and
    loaded "different". Explorer now has the sniffing dog, and the language
    toolbar lost all settings. Seems to me that windows is loading different
    profiles everytime after explorer error.

    Please help me interpret the following:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 4/5/2005
    Time: 9:45:41 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: <undisclosed>
    Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
    unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0fa34a80.

    Data:
    0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146
    0010: 20657275 70786520 65726f6c 78652e72
    0020: 2e362065 39322e30 322e3030 20303831
    0030: 75206e69 6f6e6b6e 30206e77 302e302e
    0040: 6120302e 666f2074 74657366 61663020
    0050: 38613433 0a0d30

    Ana

    AnnAnne, Apr 6, 2005
  12. AnnAnne

    DaveW Guest

    Search you drive for appcompat.txt or *appcompat.txt.
    From what I gather, this is the file that is generated by the "error
    reporting" program is it is turned on, and sent to M$ if you ok the
    send. Nothing about what caused the crash, but you may see
    something strange in there that you may want to investigate.

    I found a couple such files in ..\Documents and Settings\(Account
    logged into)\Local Settings\Temp
    Google appcompat.txt for more information.

    It is likely too late to UNdo the clean that started the problems,
    but there is that RESTORE feature of XP that I keep forgetting
    about. Perhaps you can use that to get you back to where it was and
    then try a different method to get it cleaned up.

    If you do restore, don't worry about WildTangent until after virus
    are gone and everything is working ok. Then you can uninstall and
    Google for instructions on removing what WildTangent want's left
    hiding on your computer after the program is gone.

    DaveW, Apr 6, 2005