    I know I'm unclear on, but that may not be the best option for certain
    subjects beyond the core ones.

    Dave

    David K, Nov 25, 2003

  2. David K

    Guan Foo Wah Guest

    Get Windows 2000 resource kit from MsPress also. These volume of books cover
    much more indepth than any of these MCSE books. Or these books are also
    available from MS Technet. I use it to pass the beast!

    Guan Foo Wah, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Nov 25, 2003
  4. David K

    Dave Guest

    I think you'll find D is the correct answer. If you move a folder within
    the same partition it retains it's permissions. If you move it to another
    partition it inherits the permissions of it's parent folder.

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 26, 2003
  5. David K

    Paul Lynch Guest

    Dave is actually correct.

    By default, an object inherits permissions from its parent object,
    either at the time of creation or when it is copied or moved to its
    parent folder. The only exception to this rule occurs when you move an
    object to a different folder on the same volume. In this case, the
    original permissions are retained.

    From here :

    How Permissions Are Handled When You Copy and Move Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310316

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Hi Paul,
    Thanks for the heads up!!

    I found a bug which made my answer wrong--on Server 2003 Enterprise SP1
    moving a folder with special permissions applied AND do not allow
    inheritable permissions checked will retain the original settings on the new
    volume,but not always.

    Trying to track down what is making it random now--since I primarily use
    special permissions the ability to retain them would be useful.

    Associate Expert
    Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

    Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Nov 26, 2003
  7. David K

    Paul Lynch Guest

    I wouldn't know. I'm only running the Longhorn at the moment ;-)

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\), Nov 26, 2003
  9. David K

    Consultant Guest

    Consultant, Nov 26, 2003
  10. David K

    myrt webb Guest

    Of the three general study books, MS, Syngress and Sybex.
    Sybex is by far the worse-IMHO.

    myrt webb, Nov 27, 2003