    data is run. And YES the code is as compact as possible. Just way to much
    data. In some cases I'm still running VBA code on excel workbooks. How will
    my 32 bit stuff function on Windows XP 64?

    HotRod, Dec 9, 2005

  2. HotRod

    Guest Guest

    If I was starting from scratch with a completely new computer, I would get it
    with Win XP x64 installed. I installed x64 as dual boot with Win XP Pro, and
    my experience is that other than HP not providing a 64-bit driver for my
    scanner, all my hardware works fine and all 32-bit software runs the same,
    albeit a tiny bit slower. So basically, other than a few 64-bit programs
    that I have for video editing, there's no big advantage at the moment, but
    also no real penalties either.

    I empathize with your Excel problems, since I have the same problem here.
    Unfortunately, Microsoft has not announced any intention to upgrade MS Office
    to 64-bit. I suspect when Windows Vista 64-bit hits the streets some time in
    2026, ;-) they might also release a 64-bit version of Office. Else, for the
    moment you are stuck with porting your apps from VBA to a language that
    supports 64-bits. Have you thought about instead, getting one of those
    3rd-party multi-threading add-ons for Excel VBA? Do a Google search and you
    will find a few of them.

    Guest, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Your 32-bit software will function under the 32-bit emulation layer called
    "Windows On Windows64" (WOW64). See:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...s/win64/win64/running_32_bit_applications.asp
    There are many links from this article to more detailed explanations.

    As to how much your software will benefit, you will simply have to try it.
    This does sound like one of the classes of software for which x64 was
    intended to benefit the most.

    The additional considerations are the peripherals you are carrying over from
    the old system and whether or not there are 64-bit device drivers for
    everything you need. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

    Unless there is a real showstopper about your software under x64, I see no
    reason to stay with XP Pro x86.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 9, 2005
  4. HotRod

    Guest Guest

    Hi!
    Maybe a stupid question, but how can I tell that my HP workstation wx6200
    got delivered with Win XP pro x64 pre installed?

    Guest, Dec 9, 2005
  5. HotRod

    DKI Guest

    Right click on my computer, click on properties no in the general tab that
    will tell you the operating system on it.

    DKI, Dec 9, 2005
  6. HotRod

    John Barnes Guest

    or for those of us with classic view use the windows-key/pause-break to
    see

    John Barnes, Dec 9, 2005
  7. HotRod

    Colin Nowell Guest

    errr.... that works in ANY view :)

    (just that not many people take the trouble to learn all the VERY useful
    windows key shortcuts...)

    Colin Nowell, Dec 9, 2005
  8. HotRod

    John Barnes Guest

    I know it works in any view, but in classic view it is harder to find a link
    to my computer. :) I usually forget how to find it.

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  9. HotRod

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm so used to using the key on the keyboard on x86, but that key needs the
    infamous Intellitype to work and so far, no Microsoft support. Coming
    soon???? Rumored yes :)

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  10. HotRod

    DKI Guest

    Well sometimes i do forget the windows pause key does go into the properties
    of my computer don't go into it often to remember it.

    DKI, Dec 10, 2005
  11. HotRod

    Colin Nowell Guest

    LOL!

    Colin Nowell, Dec 10, 2005
  12. HotRod

    HotRod Guest

    Right now I'm leaning the other way. It doesn't look like I will see to much
    performance gains or losses with 64 bit so why bother switching? I'd like to
    port all of the VBA code that I run through the year but that would take a
    team of programmers a few years. Some of this stuff is old and really long.
    Anyone else here think like me "Stay with the devil you know" I mean XP Pro
    32 bit?

    HotRod, Dec 12, 2005
  13. Many here are dual booting or running side by side boxes. Choose the tool
    (edition) for the job.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 12, 2005