    automatic, all my entries clear out. Thus I need to daily reenter all the
    numbers. Is there an easy way to simply switch between the two without
    losing all my numerical entries every day?

    Guest, Sep 8, 2005

  2. Sooner Al [MVP], Sep 8, 2005

  3. Guest

    mohawkspa Guest

    This is a great question, however it does not provide an answer to what I am
    looking for. How/what do we change after using the Alternate IP
    configuration to allow us to see the computers on each network. I have a
    SOHO and share folders on it with my pc's, but when I go to one of the group
    offices for my business, I can get on the internet, but can not see or share
    my folders on that workgroup. So in my case, not only do I need network
    access, but have two different workgroups to share and access.

    TIA

    mohawkspa, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Either use the Alternate Configuration or third-party software. With the
    Alternate Configuration, all you have to do is wait 30-60 seconds and
    when the machine doesn't find a DHCP server from the default settings
    it will switch over to the Alternate Configuration.

    Example: My kid's school laptop is set to automatically get an IP
    address from the 192.168.1.x range at home. For school, I use the
    Alternate Configuration to use a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x
    range. The Workgroup names are irrelevant; Windows machines do not need
    to be in the same Workgroup to share resources.

    If domains are involved, then third-party software might be a better
    choice for you. If your laptop doesn't already come with something (my
    IBM X31 does), then:

    http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
    http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
    http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

    Malke

    Malke, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Guest

    Dave Guest

    if they are workgroups then there should be no problem. workgroups provide
    no security, they are simply a way to group machines in windows explorer.
    to share stuff on workgroups you just address the individual machines
    directly and rely on each of them to either allow you to access them or
    not... and the workgroup name doesn't enter in to it just the machine name
    and user name.

    however, if one or both of the locations is a domain then you have a
    different problem and should probably look into one of the third party tools
    to make it easier.

    Dave, Sep 8, 2005