switch trunking

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by George, Apr 6, 2010.

  1. George

    George Guest

    What is the best way to link up 3 switches??

    One switch is in one room and the other two switches are in another.

    Switch1 is where all the servers are.

    Switch 2 and Switch 3 are in another room where all the users and printers
    feed into.

    I'm doing trunking or link aggregation.. Wondering the best way to go about
    it?

    I have SIX Cat5e lines going from switch one to the other room..

    Should I make a trunk to Switch 2 using 3 of those lines and a trunk to
    switch 3 using
    the other 3

    OR

    Should I use ALL six to go to the other room trunk into switch2 and then
    make a trunk
    from switch 2 and switch 3???

    Switch 3 is where all the users are plugged in.. Switch 2 has 24 ports
    available..

    just curious on the best way to set up trunking with 3 switches.

    George, Apr 6, 2010

  2. What trunks? There are no multiple subnets here that I see. I see no
    VLANs. There are no trunks.

    Business quality switches will have two or more ports that are faster than
    the rest. You link them together via those ports. This would be considered
    a Backbone Cabling or Uplink Cabling.

    Don't create any "loops" with the cabling unless you are going to start
    using the Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).

    With your floor layout you would just run one Uplink from Sw1 to Sw2,...and
    then another from Sw2 to Sw3. There would be no cable from Sw1 to
    Sw3,..that would cause a Loop and it would all come crashing down on your
    head unless you ran STP.

    Phillip Windell, Apr 6, 2010

  3. George

    George Guest

    Have 2 Dell Power connect 6224 and 1 Dell Power Connect 3548.
    Can do LAG links and can do Spanning Tree..

    There is only one subnet 172.22.x and only one VLAN..

    I have about 40 users and a couple of servers.. Windows 2008 domain.

    George, Apr 7, 2010
  4. Then you can either do it just as I described or Cable them in a Loop (would
    appear like a Triangle) if you enable STP. But if no STP then do it like I
    first said,...if the STP gives you crap then forget it, not worth it,...turn
    STP off and do it like I first described.

    **Change your Mask** So not use 255.255.0.0!!! You do not have 65,023
    users.

    Ethernet looses efficiency and performance starts to nosedive after around
    250-300 hosts,...so never go beyond a normal 254Host network given by the
    traditional /24bit mask (255.255.255.0). You can go smaller than that,..but
    not bigger.

    If you say,.."But I only have 40 users!",...doesn't matter,..the addresses
    are still part of the LAN whether they are in use or not,...and they will
    get in the way and cause address conflicts if you ever have to do a VPN to
    another network and they happen to be using addresses *anywhere* within
    172.22.x.x

    You have a very small network,...fixing your addressing would be extremely
    easy at this point,...but the longer you wait and the more messy the network
    gets,...the more difficult it gets to fix. It will only get worse and get
    uglier if you don't do it now.

    --
    Phillip Windell

    Phillip Windell, Apr 7, 2010