Switch : Telnet disable and SSH Enable

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mtint, May 24, 2009.

  1. mtint

    mtint

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi All,

    We have several switches that has both telnet and ssh and some has just telnet enabled. For security reasons i been asked to disable telnet and enable ssh.

    I will be applying below to all switches which has ssh+telnet enable.

    config t
    ip ssh time-out 90
    ip ssh authentication-retries 3
    line vty 0 4
    transport input ssh
    no transport input telnet

    Please comment on above commands as it will be used for 2950 & 3750 switches and if this is the safe and good way to do this.

    What happens when the ‘transport input ssh’ command is entered on the switch vty lines? And will this block cut off existing telnet connection immediately?

    Thanks,

    Michael

    mtint, May 24, 2009