    providors switch.In peak usage the switch ports on providor are get
    fequently blocked.Pls give me solution to prevent ports blocking
    problem.

    networking, Feb 2, 2007

  2. networking

    BernieM Guest

    this is a good one for comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

    BernieM, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Could you clarify what you mean by your ports getting "blocked"?
    They stop working? Traffic on them gets dropped? You are getting
    high retransmission counts? You are getting transmisions dropped
    because they encounter more than 16 collisions?

    Is it only the switch port connected to your ISP that you are
    having difficulty with? Or are you having problems also with
    "in-house" traffic that is going through your core managed switch
    as a step in getting between your unmanaged switches?

    Have you used MRTG or Whats Up! (or the command line) to examine
    the traffic patterns of your ports and to examine the error statistics?
    Have you examined the traffic patterns in order to find out what
    kind of data is responsible for the bulk of the traffic? Have
    you checked to be sure that the traffic is related to the purposes
    of the organization -- that, for example, people are not loading
    your network by listening to internet radio stations or watching
    unnecessary video clips? Have you checked to be sure that your
    network isn't ending up being a Skype or P2P sharing node?

    My initial hypothesis is that since you have 1000 systems and only
    one of your switches is managed, that likely you are using old
    equipment that is not fast enough for your organization's needs.
    Possibly also your internet connection is slower than your
    organization needs. It would not surprise me if it turned
    out that a number of your users are using the network for
    unnecessary traffic: it does not sounds as if you have the
    infrastructure in place to do much monitoring, and when people
    know they are not being monitored, there is always a temptation
    to "just listen to a bit of music" or something similar.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 2, 2007
  4. networking

    Thrill5 Guest

    You have 1000 computers connected in a single layer 2 configuration? Sounds
    like a spanning-tree issue. Routers/Layer 3 switches were invented to fix
    this problem. I would bet that somewhere on your network, at LEAST one of
    the switches can't handle the spanning-tree traffic because you layer 2
    network is too big. Diagnosing this problem is pretty much impossible using
    unmanaged switches.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Feb 6, 2007