    Another difference between a bridge and switch is that a switch does
    not convert data transmission formats

    HELP ME OUT PLEASE !!

    jh3ang, Jun 6, 2006

  2. "switch" is a marketing term for a bridge with more than 2 ports.

    Bridges usually connect networks that use the same Data Link Layer
    protocol (layer 2), but bridges might also convert between
    different Data Link Layers, such as a "wireless bridge" or
    a "Localtalk to Ethernet bridge".

    The second statement might be asserting that the marketing term
    "switch" is not used in situations where link layers are
    converted, but that's like trying to say that,
    "A convertable is not an automobile because no-one has ever
    sold a six-door convertable."

    Walter Roberson, Jun 7, 2006