    flat out will use , one of which happens to be about an error in
    'kerebos' function.
    TJ

    TJ, Apr 23, 2006

  2. TJ

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yes, Kernel32.dll is part of the the O/S and you may see it running on
    several threads within a SVChost.exe, as applications running with the
    svchost.exe are making calls to the Kernel32 running on a given thread.

    Now you got to determine what else is running on the threads within that
    SVChost.exe process other than the Kernel32, which would be sending a
    Kernel32 into a loop that is sucking up the CPU.

    You can compare what's running on the other threads to the list of DLL's
    exe's etc etc that are showing on in the Lower Pane when you select
    the scvhost.exe line in the Upper Pane and you have selected View Show
    all Dlls.

    You should remember that what's showing in the Lower Pane is a list of
    everything that's running with the SVChost.exe. A Dll showing on a
    processing thread on the Thread Tab is the highest level being shown and
    other dll(s) etc in the Lower Pane can be attached to a Dll running on a
    thread.
    The solution would be to remove it off the machine.
    Is CLI.exe listed in the Lower Pane for the svchost.exe in question?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006

  3. TJ

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Kerbreos is a networking protocol used when a client machine is using a VPN
    connection to a server machine like Win 2K Pro client making a VPN
    connection to a Win 2K server through the O/S(s) in a netwroking situation.

    It has nothing to do as to why svchost.exe and the kernel32.dll have been
    sent out of control.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  4. TJ

    TJ Guest

    I didn't think Kerbreos was the cause.

    But in any event it doesn't matter what was because I did a clean
    install to stop the rot. Works perfectly now - probably because I used
    the original driver CD rom for the Radeon 7000 graphics card not the
    latest ATI download with the Catalyst display control panel. The
    download I think was the problem. It was in two parts: the first being
    a 'network' program.

    What I will do now is run SYSTEM EXPLORER on the new install, get a
    print out of what's running in svchost files - and keep this as a
    reference for the future. By comparing the new to the old printout it
    should pinpoint the abberant process, which I will post for general
    information

    Thanks again for all your help
    TJ

    TJ, Apr 30, 2006