    Holding your mouse over each svchost will tell you what it's running,
    or it's function. Running services.msc and disabling the service will
    shut em down, one at a time.

    Pennywise, Mar 24, 2008

  2. Pennywise

    Kyle Guest

    Browsing through my currently running processes in Windows XP Pro SP-2 and I
    came across 4 SVCHOST.EXE files running. Should this be happening?

    Kyle, Mar 24, 2008

  3. Pennywise

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    I have 10 svchost.exe hosting various things running now. Svchost is the
    messenger for the O/S. The O/S and non O/S(s) programs will use Svchost on
    their behalf including malware. So, you always have to be aware of what is
    using svchost.exe and is being hosted.

    You can use Process Explore to look at everything a running svchost.exe is
    using by going to Menu/View/Show Lower Pane, which will show you everything
    a given process is hosting in the upper pane. You can right-click on a line
    in the upper or lower pane and go to Properties to get more information.

    If svchost.exe is not running out of the Windows/system32 directory, then
    it's a trojan.

    <http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html>

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 24, 2008
  4. Pennywise

    Kyle Guest

    Thanks! I'm just worried because when I've run every virus and spyware
    scanner I can get a hold of for free I've had a clean system. But when I am
    running my Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.12 I will get stalls - where a hyperlink
    opens a new tab and acts like it is loading ... but then freezes and the
    hourglass just spins and spins for anywhere from seconds to minutes. So I
    started to examine my startups and currently running processes for anything
    odd and saw this oddity of four svchosts.exe running. I'm downloading the
    Process Explorer now and will run it to check things out.

    I've tried to ask at MozillaZine about this oddity of Firefox freezing - and
    a moderator said it had to do with an extension called DownThemAll 1.0. Yet
    when I uninstalled it, the problem continued. Someone else is having the
    same issue and we've gotten no reply back so I am trying to find anything
    that I may have missed in my startup or currently running processes.

    Kyle, Mar 24, 2008
  5. Pennywise

    sparrow.sign Guest

    Remove and reinstall Firefox? Sometimes reinstalling windows all
    together is easier than messing with simple problems.

    sparrow.sign, Mar 25, 2008
  6. Pennywise

    Kyle Guest

    Well I may have to re-install Windows, because trying to un-install and
    re-install Firefox is not going to work. When I went to the directions for a
    clean uninstall on Firefox I was told this:

    Next, delete the following:

    The Firefox folder that contains temporary data (*.mfl files, Cache and
    Updates), located here: Important: Make sure you delete the Firefox folder
    under Local Settings or Local. Deleting the wrong folder will remove your
    Firefox user profile data such as bookmarks and passwords.

    Windows 2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local
    Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\

    There is only one problem - I don't have a file folder there called "Local
    Settings" under my screen name or any screen name for that matter! But here
    is the very odd part - it IS there when I watch programs such as a virus
    scanner or spyware scanner because I can see the pathway being scanned. But
    after double-checking my settings in Windows Explorer (click Tools, select
    Folder Options, click the View tab and select Show hidden files and folders)
    it still is not there.

    Sounds like a real issue for a clean Windows install!

    Kyle, Mar 26, 2008
  7. Pennywise

    Mara Guest

    You have to unhide the protected Operating System files/folders.

    Mara, Mar 26, 2008
  8. Pennywise

    Pennywise Guest

    Unhide your files and extensions
    www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp

    Your extensions being hidden is like a major thing as you never know
    what file type your really clicking on.

    Pennywise, Mar 26, 2008
  9. Pennywise

    Kyle Guest

    Kyle, Mar 27, 2008
  10. Pennywise

    Pennywise Guest

    Windows 2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local
    Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\

    In windows explorer highlight C:\Documents and Settings
    press the number pad key * (not shift 8)

    Wait for it to settle out, then find your folder.

    Pennywise, Mar 27, 2008
  11. Pennywise

    Pennywise Guest

    Also make sure you have admin privileges

    Start | Run <type in>
    control userpasswords2
    <enter>

    If not, log into an account with them.