Surfcontrol - problem with mixed win/non-win devices

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by noname, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. noname

    noname Guest

    Hi all,

    I do not know of another newsgroup to post this, so I posted it here.
    Hope you guys can help.

    I use Surfcontrol to control users' web surfing, and it's tied to
    Windows active directory user accounts, so we have rules that says
    certain group of users can surf anywhere (call them group A), certain
    group of users can surf somewhere, not anywhere (group B). I have a last
    rule that disallow anyone not logged on to Windows to surf any site on
    the Internet.

    However, we have non-windows devices (eg, Palm handhelds) used by Group
    A people. So, I have defined MAC addresses objects to represent the Palm
    devices, and I have a rule before the Windows groups rule that says,
    "all MAC addresses of the Palm devices allowed to surf anywhere". But
    this doesn't work. Either the Palm users encounter the last rule, and
    they are blocked 'cos they are not logged in to Windows, or the Palm
    handheld gets an IP addresses (via DHCP) formerly used by a Group B
    user's PC and they are restricted to only certain sites 'cos Surfcontrol
    still caches and ties that Group B user's login to this IP.

    Does anyone have similar setup and problems like this? Hope someone can
    enlighten how to workaround this problem. Thanks in advance.

    noname, Jul 27, 2004

  2. noname

    Peter Peters Guest

    If you know the MAC addresses of your palm users, you can give them
    IP-addresses from a different pool and allow that pool to browse
    according to group A.

    Peter Peters, Jul 27, 2004