    not on the restart command

    Please please throw some light on this its doing my head in

    Thank you

    buffy, Jan 23, 2004

  2. buffy

    MrToad Guest

    After a little investigating, I've found a few references of bad ram or
    power supply causing very similar problems.
    Got any spares to swap out and test the theory?
    Also, try booting with just the video card, maybe a piece of hardware is
    having problems(?), if your sound is motherboard based, turn it off in
    the BIOS, same with a built-in NIC.
    Process of elimination may shed some light on the matter.....

    MrToad, Jan 23, 2004

  3. buffy

    Boomer Guest

    Why not ask at
    alt.comp.hardware.* or
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware?

    Boomer, Jan 23, 2004
  4. buffy

    buffy Guest

    Thanks I will

    buffy, Jan 23, 2004
  5. buffy

    buffy Guest

    I've swopped all the components with another system and still its the same
    problem. only thing I can think of now (and unlikely as the system worked
    fine for months) is that its a fairly modern MB supporting up to ddr400 ram
    and I'm running slowISH PC2100 RAm ???

    buffy, Jan 23, 2004
  6. buffy

    Boomer Guest

    You're welcome. Good luck. :)

    Boomer, Jan 23, 2004
  7. buffy

    ICee Guest

    No, the speed of the memory would not make any difference (unless you
    tried running it faster than it's rated speed).
    It sounds like the motherboard is at fault; it's the only thing you
    haven't replaced.
    However, I would follow Boomer's advice and check in those NG's. You're
    more likely to find someone who can help.
    You might also try:
    _alt.comp.hardware.overclocking_ . Even though you are not
    overclocking, there is a great wealth of knowledge amongst overclockers,
    since most build their own systems.
    Good luck!

    ICee, Jan 23, 2004
  8. buffy

    ilmc Guest

    MrToad typed:
    My win2k machine at work does this, and then works ok. I haven't yet
    figured whether this behaviour toggles:
    a) after visiting "windows update"
    b) I swap the second IDE slave from tape to cd
    c) British Summer Time
    d) alcohol quotient (mine)

    Hey! It _is_ Microsoft!

    ilmc, Jan 23, 2004
  9. buffy

    °Mike° Guest

    Why would (did) you do that?

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:44:50 -0000, in
    <bus165$fub$>
    "buffy" <[email protected]> scrawled:

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jan 23, 2004
  10. buffy

    Billy Guest

    If you open Device Manager and expand the computer device, does it show
    as ACPI? BIOS update available?
    Else, maybe something here can help you.
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Billy, Jan 24, 2004
  11. buffy

    Buffy Guest

    no its shows as acpi uniprocessor pc

    Buffy, Jan 24, 2004
  12. buffy

    MrToad Guest

    This could be an important clue, my device manager reports: "Microsoft
    ACPI-Compliant System"
    Sure you got the correct BIOS update, [Motherboard version number]?
    Grabbing at straws here.... :eek:]

    MrToad, Jan 24, 2004