    --

    .... Brendan

    "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." -- Dorothy Parker

    Note: All comments are copyright 3/06/2004 2:43:01 p.m., and are opinion only where not otherwise stated, and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Yeah the old stuff sucks. We know that. Your beating a dead horse.
    Let me guess that those comprimised machines were Win95/98, no antivirus or
    firewalls, users running as root yadda yadda?

    Linux doesn't have the critical mass of un-IT saavy users who don't patch
    their machines.... yet
    And it continues to get better and better
    Win2k is almost 4 years old. NT is 8 years old. Assuming you're comparing
    Microsoft against a modern Linux distro, then you should really be comparing
    apples with apples and using Microsoft's latest OS - Windows Server 2003
    which came out 14 months ago
    Trusted Computing?
    Different theory - Please don't compare apples with bananas. Windows is an
    operating system, Apache is a web server.
    Hugely different threat models and attack vectors between an old general
    purpose Windows operating system and a modern Linux based webserver

    Lets talk about modern operating systems? Windows Server 2003 includes IIS
    6 (IIS being Internet Information Server, the Microsoft web server)
    IIS6 has been released in the market place for around 14 months, and there
    are 0 vulnerabilties known and 0 patches for IIS6.

    I wonder how many patches Apache has had in that same time period... (and of
    course you'll need to include the SSL libraries that have had vulns found,
    and please remember to forsake your uptime for security and reboot so the
    new kernel fixes can load too)

    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jun 3, 2004

  3. What he said and...

    http://www.zone-h.org/en/stats

    Brett Roberts, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Microsoft's UK website was defaced early this morning by previously unknown
    hackers called the OutLaw Group. ... It's unclear what attack mechanism was
    used to inject the rogue content onto the site, which runs IIS 6.0 on
    Windows 2003."
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/25/ms_uk_defaced/

    Peter

    Peter, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Peter

    Don Hills Guest

    Touch‚. Oh, that's wonderful... I'm not laughing at Microsoft's misfortune,
    just at Nathan and Brett's "tag team" pair of posts boosting Windows
    2003/IIS and your response. It's rather like a salesman making his pitch,
    and at the end of it you say quietly, "Your flies are open..."

    Don Hills, Jun 3, 2004
  6. SQL injection, not IIS or Win2k3

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 3, 2004
  7. not so, it was an sql injection, not IIS or Win2k3

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 3, 2004
  8. Peter

    AD. Guest

    Just like most of the defacements on Bretts page were probably due to
    buggy PHP/CGI coding or buggy web apps like PHPNuke or webmin etc rather
    than Linux or Apache vulnerabilities.

    Defacements aren't usually due to the servers being rooted, usually just
    bad admin or badly designed websites - if you (as a cracker) could get a
    root kit on a server, would you want to advertise the break in to the
    owners by defacing sites?

    Cheers
    Aanton

    AD., Jun 3, 2004
  9. Peter

    Don Hills Guest

    Pedant. Where's your sense of humour? <g>

    Don Hills, Jun 4, 2004
  10. I left it at home today. :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 4, 2004
  11. Peter

    Enkidu Guest

    In general the answer to that is "yes". It's a way of boasting.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jun 4, 2004
  12. I remember when Windows 2000 came out, Microsoft released a study
    claiming that the average time that an NT 4.0 system went between
    reboots was 3 days, while Windows 2000 could manage more like 30 days.

    Then when Windows XP came out, Steve Ballmer admitted that his kids kept
    crashing Windows 2000 all the time, while they couldn't do the same with
    XP.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2004
  13. Not the way the Open Source folks use it. To avoid confusion, they try
    not to use the English word, instead referring to "software libre" (free
    of restrictions) as opposed to "software gratis" (free of charge).
    You're assuming the latter meaning when it is the former that is
    intended. The idea is that there is nothing stopping people making money
    from Open Source software.
    Except for people like Red Hat and SuSE and IBM, all making money from
    GPL software very nicely thank you.

    The reputations of people like RMS will stand or fall on the success of
    the projects they're associated with. The fact that Hurd is being left
    in the dust by Linux speaks for itself, I think...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2004
  14. Maybe that's just what *they* want you to think...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2004
  15. Peter

    brundlefly Guest

    It says more about your own prejudices.

    The fact that many of the Free Software Foundation projects are not only an
    integral part of Linux distributions but also the BSD distributions and
    Macintosh OS X under the same licence also speaks for itself.

    What did you intend it to say ?

    brundlefly, Jun 7, 2004
  16. Oh really, why do you think Red Hat has changed to Fedora?

    Patrick Dunford, Jun 7, 2004
  17. But not Hurd.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 8, 2004
  18. To separate it out from RHEL, which _is_ making money very nicely thank
    you.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 8, 2004
  19. Peter

    brundlefly Guest

    Can you elaborate what inference about Stallman that you intend to be drawn
    from this ?

    brundlefly, Jun 8, 2004
  20. Peter

    AD. Guest

    So what you're both really saying is that the contributions of the FSF can
    be seen but not hurd?

    <groan> sorry, couldn't resist ;)

    AD., Jun 8, 2004