    So, my question is, how do I fix it so that I can legally load an OS onto
    the new machines I build, without supplying a fresh OS disk to each
    customer?

    sAxmAn, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Test

    Edward A. Weissbard, Apr 24, 2004

  3. sAxmAn

    Chris L Guest

    You don't. Supply them with their very own disk, adjust your price
    accordingly. Or install linux and let them figure it out. Stay legal and
    legit.

    Chris L, Apr 24, 2004
  4. sAxmAn

    davemeek Guest

    I'm not sure that you can...I was under the impression that you as the
    builder and seller had to buy a license from Microsoft to load the OS on any
    given system. I think that you never REALLY own the software, you just pay
    for the right to install and use said software on a single system, (or a
    separate license for each individual system it is installed on). I have
    never checked but I presume that the individual licenses are fairly
    inexpensive because you are selling the systems the software is going on.
    Read all the print on the certificate you get with the OS. The information
    will also be in the 'preload' contract that you will have to click "okay" to
    before the os will be installed. You can probably get in touch directly with
    Microsoft and inquire them about your intentions. Even though MS brings in
    more profit that most country's GNP annually, they STILL crave your
    business. Give 'em a call!!

    davemeek

    davemeek, Apr 24, 2004
  5. sAxmAn

    sAxmAn Guest

    Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The biggest and most reputable
    computer shops, will sell a computer with the OS loaded, but not supply the
    disk( They will supply a restore disk though in case things go wrong.) They
    will advertise on national TV that such their systems come loaded with (say)
    windows XP Home.

    Clearly, this is a legitimate enterprise. I just want to know how it's all
    agreed.

    sAxmAn, Apr 24, 2004
  6. sAxmAn

    Geoff Guest

    there are different versions of cd's which i think are basicly
    corp edition
    oem edition
    retail edition

    the corp one doens't need activation, microsoft trusts the dealer (like dell
    or something like that), and the dealer buys in bulk anyway
    the oem ones are for dealers that m$ don't trust/havn't done any deals with,
    you buy copys thru trade channels for your business
    retail ones are high street stores

    the oem ones need activation, and are tied rather heavy to the hardware,
    change too much hardware in that pc, and it won't activate, you have to do a
    phone activation in this case

    retail are same as oem i think, apart from they cost twice as much :)

    Geoff, Apr 24, 2004
  7. sAxmAn

    Chris L Guest

    Then buy bulk licenses from MS

    Chris L, Apr 24, 2004
  8. sAxmAn

    Chris L Guest

    That's right. You just "rent" the software from MS.

    Chris L, Apr 24, 2004
  9. sAxmAn

    Geoff Guest

    mm ya sorry my bad, i'm use to calling the preactivated version corp version
    hehe
    the only version he can really buy is oem, or retail ones really though
    ahh stuff it, dam m$ activation crap....:)

    Geoff, Apr 24, 2004
  10. sAxmAn

    mjohns2 Guest

    There are still places that will sell you Win98. Buy that, let them upgrade
    it themselves.... Or better yet. Tell them to bring in there own Win CD and
    you'll install and "configure" it for them for free.

    mjohns2, Apr 24, 2004
  11. sAxmAn

    sAxmAn Guest

    But this is the whole problem. Basically, PC's these days are dirt cheap.
    And when the big boys can advertise that they will supply a system *with
    windows* but without providing a numbered disk by virtue of some hokey
    legal macinery which still eludes me, this cuts into my ever-decreasing
    profit margin big time. Folks like me have to buy a new OS for each
    customer.

    Thanks for all the replies, but I am still at a loss to understand how it is
    done.

    sAxmAn, Apr 25, 2004
  12. Well, it sounds like they're just not including the Windows disk or they've
    thrown it on some recovery disk. They've obviously paid for the liscense
    somehow. If you're buying Windows in bulk, I'm sure Microsoft offers some
    kind of a discount.

    Patrick Michael, Apr 25, 2004
  13. I think it does (or did) work that way with some software, but I don't
    know about an OS.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Apr 25, 2004
  14. sAxmAn

    techshare Guest

    Pointless question. You are WRONG to assume there is any legal path to
    selling PC's with Windows without buying the LICENSE. If a company sells a
    PC with no disk ... of course they MUST have purchased a license
    (technically attach the OEM key sticker to the side of the machine for XP).
    If the "high street shops" are doing anything else.. then they are running
    illegal. Your choice ... but folks like me look out for others who get the
    nice "advantage" of selling a machine with Windows for "free" ... the same
    way a cop looks out for people that sell stolen goods for "free".

    techshare, Apr 27, 2004
  15. sAxmAn

    techshare Guest

    Good points Imho. Speaking of the various OS's... (and maybe this has been
    answered before) ... is there any easy way for a computer service company to
    get a full collection of all the MS OS installation CD's . I'm still missing
    ME. I realize I *may* be able to get them all from MS which will no doubt be
    costly and probably require some sort of subscription.

    techshare, Apr 28, 2004
  16. sAxmAn

    techshare Guest

    Here is a tip ... do what I do and pick up a 3 pack OEM of XP Home. 261 from
    my vendor (who is really just an online retailer ... nothing special). Yes,
    that's 87 bucks a copy ... but unless your customers want to play with Linux
    that is the best you can do.

    Also, I believe the OEM licensing scheme has been relaxed so that you can
    merely "sell" a piece of qualifying hardware to sell the OS. A better
    question is this ... if my vendor sells me XP OEM with qualifying hardware
    .... do I need to turn around and sell the same hardware or other qualifying
    hardware to the customer? I wonder why... since MS has already made their
    [email protected]#$ profit. Of course this isn't an issue when selling new machines with
    XP.

    techshare, Apr 28, 2004
  17. sAxmAn

    sAxmAn Guest

    And derided by the boorish and ignorant. I'll certainly take it from whence
    it comes. I've come to expect a grunt from a pig. lol.

    sAxmAn, Apr 29, 2004
  18. sAxmAn

    David Hough Guest

    On most business systems, the customer is using a vertical application
    package, be it POS or accounting or some other specialty thing. Your
    software vendor quite often certifies his software on a particular OS
    version. I am finding a lot of stuff certified for W2K. I,ll bet
    better than 50%. Linux is a good OS! But you can't run MS software on it.

    David Hough, Apr 29, 2004