    Who would you recommend between these two? I've used Giganews in the past,
    but with dial-up and they were pretty solid. Thanks!

    Jenn

    Jenn, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Look in your Outbox. 3GB is a fair bit unless you're downloading a
    reasonable number of binaries.

    I use http://www.teranews.com/ - a few dollars to sign up with no
    additional charges. Only 50MB a day, which suits me. Look for their
    "free" option.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Jenn

    gangle Guest

    Giganews is THE gold standard of premium news services,
    with as close to 100% article completeness as is possible.
    They have just expanded to 30 days retention for binaries.
    Although Supernews has improved greatly from the erratic
    mess they were 2 years ago, they simply cannot keep up
    with the exponential growth in binary NGs, and their spam
    filtering is so aggressive, it is known to exclude legitimate posts.

    gangle, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Jenn

    Harrison Guest

    Supernews also offers a 10 GB option for $10.95.
    I switched from Giganews to Supernews several months ago and have been
    very satisfied. While I was doing the 3 day trial, I compared them
    head-to-head and Supernews offered considerably more retention than
    Giganews and at a better price.

    As far as telling what your needs are. If you don't know how to tell,
    then chances are good that your needs are quite low, well below 3 GB
    anyway. Besides, you can always upgrade if you need to.

    Harrison, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Jenn

    Boomer Guest

    Octanews :)

    More info at this group.
    alt.binaries.news-server-comparison

    Boomer, Jan 4, 2004
  6. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    Thanks all. I decided to try a free trial of Giganews for 5 days. Anyone
    who has Giganews, which server do you have more success with? News 40 or
    60? I'm using 40 right now...

    Jenn

    Jenn, Jan 4, 2004
  7. Jenn

    gangle Guest

    That's totally dependent upon the routing between you and
    each of those server arrays. Try both and to see if one is a
    little faster. You may not be able to see any difference between
    the two. Monitor the internal NG "giganews.general" to follow
    any technical issues if and when they happen -- tech support
    is very responsive and polite there. By checking into the Control
    Panel, you can monitor your ongoing usage. Flat out, the best
    deal is a yearly buy of xx GB for 1 year, but if you run out of
    xx GB at, say, 10.2 months, you can simply rotate and start
    another year at the earlier point. If there are any minor issues
    at this point, keep in mind that they just switched into a new
    in-house-written software to accomodate more customers,
    server maintenance without down time, and the the higher
    retention of articles (30 days for binaries). They hope to maintain
    that high retention, despite the fact that the size of Usenet
    continues to grow exponentially.

    gangle, Jan 4, 2004