    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Jan 2, 2004

    Michael, Jan 2, 2004

    Mark M, Jan 2, 2004

    TrueBlue, Jan 2, 2004

    Alan D-W, Jan 2, 2004

    DateTime : 2003:01:13 06:20:39
    Sub Information
    ExposureTime : 1/640Sec
    FNumber : F3,2
    ExposureProgram : Manual
    ISOSpeedRatings : 400
    ExifVersion : 0220
    DateTimeOriginal : 2003:01:13 06:20:39
    DateTimeDigitized : 2003:01:13 06:20:39
    CompressedBitsPerPixel : 8/1 (bit/pixel)
    ExposureBiasValue : EV0,0
    MaxApertureValue : F2,0
    MeteringMode : Division
    LightSource : Flash
    Flash : Fired
    FocalLength : 7,10(mm)
    ExifImageWidth : 3264
    ExifImageHeight : 2448
    ExposureMode : Manual
    WhiteBalance : Manual
    SceneCaptureType : Standard
    Contrast : Normal
    Saturation : Normal
    Sharpness : Hard
    Vendor Original Information

    ???????????????????

    Rosario, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Marc

    Shadowfax Guest

    Shadowfax, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Marc

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., Jan 2, 2004
  10. Marc

    Andrew Guest

    Andrew, Jan 2, 2004
  11. Marc

    John Morgan Guest

    John Morgan, Jan 2, 2004
  12. Marc

    Marc Guest

    well yes, I was - but I'm also a bit worried.

    I've got an 828 on order, UK delivery later this month.

    To be honest, I feel like a ping-pong ball - batted from one opinion to
    another.

    Phil's Digicams liked it - but, as someone said in another forum, Phil is a
    bit like Will Rogers, who said that he had 'yet to find a man he didn't
    like', Phil appears yet to find a camera that he doesn't like...

    'Luminous Landscape' was more objective - and they also seemed to like it
    despite acknowledging the flaws. They said that noise was only a problem in
    huge enlargements, and that it wasn't an issue in everyday shots.

    However, these people are professional photographers - and could probably
    squeeze a good image out of a rough wooden box with a pin-hole in it. I, on
    the other hand, am an amateur amongst amateurs, and I fear that my efforts
    will resemble the posted link!

    Considering that most of the settings seemed to be 'auto', it seemed an
    appallingly bad photo to me.

    I really don't know what to do for the best.

    Marc, Jan 2, 2004
  13. Marc

    Larry Lynch Guest

    This may well be a photo that couldn't be taken by
    conventional means (difficult or impossible to do with
    film) but it sure is a bad example to use for the
    capabilities of the camera without any explaination.

    Larry Lynch, Jan 2, 2004
  14. Marc

    Larry Lynch Guest

    Wait 'till you get the camera....

    I had the same problem when I got my 717... before I had
    the chance to use it, everybody was showing BAD PICTURES
    and slammin' the hell out of the 717. It turned ot to be
    the best camera investment I ever made. I just didn't
    need the things the 717 doesnt do well. (High ISO for
    instance)

    If I didn't own a 717 and the 5mp Sony Mavicam I'de be
    ordering (or would have already ordered) the 828.

    If it is ANY improvement over the 717 (and I think the
    7x zoom and RAW mode take care of that) then its one
    helluva P&S camera. (even if it is a little pricey) I
    just dont think its priced right as move UPWARD from the
    717 for me. I consider the 828 to be more of a LATERAL
    move from the 717, for my purposes, which for the most
    part involve shooting indoor/outdoor with good light at
    ISO 100.

    Larry Lynch, Jan 2, 2004
  15. Marc

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I looked at the picture and truly am disappointed. The noise does seem to be
    excessive. I got less noise with a Fuji A303 3.2 MP camera.
    http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/detailfs?userid={C1F95048-0B12-43
    4A-85F3-1593430BC9E1}&AlbumId={55192743-4565-4008-8207-DD03FD85D894}&Group
    Id={A5D4FA71-E1EC-44B4-862F-98AF46696C17}&vs=m&ndx=2
    One thing I might suggest is that there could be a firmware upgrade on the
    horizon that would decrease noise levels. It happened with my Minolta D7. Now I
    will not buy a "first model" of any camera.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jan 2, 2004
  16. Marc

    Frank H Guest

    I thouhgt it was more like Pollocks

    Frank H, Jan 2, 2004
  17. Marc

    Ron Ginter Guest

    Looking at the exif data, we see manual exposure, shutter at 1/640 and
    aperture of f3.2 with ISO 400, AND "flash fired". This all makes me
    suspect that either the photographer was very inept, or was trying to make
    the camera look bad. I just noticed the sharpness was set to "hard", which
    probably was done to accentuate the noise, leading me to believe the second
    possibility.

    ....Ron

    Ron Ginter, Jan 2, 2004
  18. Looking at the exif data, we see manual exposure, shutter at 1/640 and
    Agreed

    Someone is taking the Michael, as we say!

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 2, 2004
  19. Marc

    Ron Hunter Guest

    A few things to note. First very short exposure for a flash picture.
    Second, why manual setting for exposure? What was the distance from the
    camera? Why are so many of the settings manual? Looks like a picture
    INTENDED to be bad. And what about the date?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2004
  20. Marc

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I came to the same conclusion.