    question is: how much more value do i get with SUP 720 card vs Sup II
    but not sure I can justify the costs. I want to take advantage of
    10/100/1000 ae 48 port cards. I see express forwarding but...

    netman42, Apr 16, 2004

  2. netman42

    Chris Thomas Guest

    48 gig ports per card on a sup II is badly overbooked, with only an 8
    gig bplane connection. It's still overbooked on a 720, but with two
    20 gig connections, much less so.

    /Chris, UCLA

    Chris Thomas, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Hello, Chris!
    You wrote on Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:34:40 -0700:

    CT> 48 gig ports per card on a sup II is badly overbooked, with
    CT> only an 8 gig bplane connection. It's still overbooked on a
    CT> 720, but with two 20 gig connections, much less so.

    Just my $0.02v- in order to get 8 gig (actually 16 gig, I believe, because it
    will be dual attached) with Sup II you need Switched Fabric Module also. Last
    time I've looked into Cisco's price list Sup II + SFM was about $7K more than
    Sup720 which has SFM built-in. So from price point of view Sup720 is cheaper
    unless you don't want/have fabric enabled modules and the only thing you need is
    32 gig shared backplane. But than - why not 3750? :)

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Apr 17, 2004
  4. netman42

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Before considering the throughput numbers, you have think about support.
    Or lack thereof. Last time we looked at the 720 (two months ago?),
    there was *ONE* image that supported it. If you run into some type of a
    bug, you're screwed. This was a deal breaker for us. I'll wait til the
    beast matures a bit more.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Apr 17, 2004
  5. Hello, Hansang!
    You wrote on Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:14:45 GMT:

    HB> Before considering the throughput numbers, you have think
    HB> about support.
    HB> Or lack thereof. Last time we looked at the 720 (two months
    HB> ago?), there was *ONE* image that supported it. If you run
    HB> into some type of a bug, you're screwed. This was a deal
    HB> breaker for us. I'll wait til the beast matures a bit more.

    Well, either your two months are really long ones or... Quick look into Software
    Center shows that there is 5 images in CatOS and 6 in IOS :)

    But on a serious note I totally agree - if, for example, Safe Harbor images is
    the only choice than price/performance is not an important factor at all.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Apr 17, 2004
  6. netman42

    Rob Guest

    To me, IOS wins out regardless of other features. But that's just me.

    Rob, Apr 18, 2004
  7. netman42

    netman42 Guest

    Hello Andrey,
    Thanks for all the responses...
    What do you mean by the 3750? I know that is a workgroup level switch.

    Thanks,
    Netman42

    netman42, Apr 19, 2004
  8. netman42

    Chris Thomas Guest

    The 3750 is an extremely capable "workstation switch" which has a 32
    Gb backplane, and full routing capabilities including BGP (although
    due to memory constraints it won't hold a full Internet route table.)
    In a lot of ways, the 3750 is similar in performance to a small 6500
    with a Sup 1 or Sup 2 without SFM (switch fabric module), and very
    much less expensive. I believe that was Andrey's point.

    /Chris, UCLA

    Chris Thomas, Apr 19, 2004