    first one I posted. It is not altered and not cropped, just reduced to
    25% of original:

    http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/DSC_8324w.jpg

    M-M, Aug 9, 2007

  2. M-M

    Allen Guest

    Both are very nice, but I agree that the second has a compositional edge
    over the first one you posted.

    Allen, Aug 9, 2007

  3. M-M

    Siskel Guest

    Wrong, both of them are uninteresting. Typical tourist photography.

    You want constructive criticism? Fine, I'll take my valuable time to provide
    some:

    1) Over-saturated

    2) Mid-tones need contrast (I didn't bother playing with those, too much of my
    time wasted already).

    3) Second one not leveled properly.

    4) Soft and smeared details from downsizing using Bicubic instead of Lanczos
    algorithms. PhotoShop is the worst software you can use for downsizing or using
    other tools that require resampling. (I didn't bother to correct for your error
    in using antiquated software, my time is valuable.)

    5) Composition is off. You shouldn't have cropped so tight in the camera,
    there's nothing left to work with to provide an acceptable composition. Your
    main POIs (points of interest) are falling off the photo.

    The following examples would at least have move you up to the $3.79
    tourist-poster bin, had you taken them properly to begin with.

    http://www.geocities.com/koyaanis1/files/cannes3b.jpg
    This one could probably use a little more on the right side from what was
    outlined. It becomes too static and too evenly balanced as shown with the green
    crop-rectangle. There should always be a slight tension in the balance to keep
    the viewer's eye interested.

    http://www.geocities.com/koyaanis1/files/DSC_8324wb.jpg
    This one shows an adequate amount of tension in the balance, blue
    crop-rectangle.

    Whenever there is water in a photo use it as your bubble-level. Strike a
    perfectly vertical line between something above the horizon to its corresponding
    reflection on the water. If your photo does not suffer from perspective
    distortions at the sides then you can use any part of the image. If there are
    perspective distortions then use something from the center of the photo, above
    the horizon and its reflection, as your vertical plumb-line. The human eye can
    perceive even the slightest bit of tilt that you may not notice consciously.
    Something will be wrong but they can't say what it is, until you level it
    properly. When using the sun and its reflection or the distant shoreline as
    level references in your second photo the amount of tilt was the same, so it was
    safe to use either one

    Thus ends "Beginner's Photography 101" : Lesson 1

    Siskel, Aug 10, 2007