Sun X-Terminal Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Jul 1, 2005.

?

Can this win a magazine Mod of the Month award?

  1. You bet it can!

    100.0%
  2. Maybe, but you'll need to stop changing the lights around...

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only after my computer wins it first!

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i will have to push all my assignments in the bin, and get back onto it this instance... or maybe i can do ALOT of it this weekend... which ever sounds good :D, i will try to get it done this weekend or at least close to completion :D

    unholy, Aug 11, 2005

  2. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No rush....

    ....I'm traveling to Oregon this weekend to see my sister get married (2nd time), so I won't be home to play with it anyway. Get your school work done before spending time on the printer model. I don't want you under pressure..... :vroam:

    bigal, Aug 11, 2005

  3. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    lol, no probs man i have already done half of it :D(school work)

    unholy, Aug 11, 2005
  4. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Few more photos....

    ....to show the addition of a blue LED laser cannon next to GIR.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 11, 2005
  5. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I really like this mod a lot. Good work Al. That's sweet stuff.

    The Modfather, Nov 13, 2005
  6. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thank you.

    My favorite recent addition has been the wall mounting for the LCD. The old 15" Sun CRT was ok for a while, but I had to keep the light levels down low so there wasn't any reflections on it. I will probably give that old CRT away with that Ninja case system (it's only a 1GHz Athlon T-bird) to my father-in-law.
    Next project? Perhaps I shall mod that old Osborne Executive over the holidays. :roll:

    bigal, Nov 13, 2005
  7. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    sounds like a plan :D

    unholy, Nov 14, 2005
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    And so it shall be....

    See new posting in this section. :p

    bigal, Nov 14, 2005
  9. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hmm, that oughta be fun. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 14, 2005
  10. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yes it will be fun :D

    unholy, Nov 14, 2005
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Trying out a new toy tonight....

    Hey, I just came home with a nice item - a BFG Geforce 7800GT PCI express videocard! I couldn't pass this deal up. Listen to this:

    (1) The card was on sale for $379 with instant rebate.
    (2) They have a short-term deal with a $50 rebate check from BFG
    (3) I had a 10% coupon for today only
    (4) I had $7 in Best Buy bucks, left over from a McDonalds promotion in Oct
    (5) I had a $20 Reward Zone rebate check

    All these items came together early this week. I even had today off from work to get a special test done at the doctors, followed by a 2-hour massage (yes, I know how to live). So, before I get the $50 rebate check, the price, including tax, was $338. After the rebate comes, the price goes down to $288. You can't beat that on-line right now, even at Newegg. They had a deal on-line where you include Call of Duty 2 and the price is $349, but I already have that game. Now you see why I bought the card today, even though it's destined to go into the Osborne Executive machine over the holidays.

    So, where did I put the card? I put it in the only PCI-express motherboard I have - the Sun X-Terminal. I had to take a bottom bracket off, and remove the cover to accommodate the card, but it's installed and working well. I now have a gaming machine until I give up the card to the Osborne. I took a few pictures for your viewing pleasure...

    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

    bigal, Nov 16, 2005
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sweeet! Congrats Al, that's gonna kick ass!

    The Modfather, Nov 17, 2005
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, can i have ur old card :D

    just joking u were using onboard :D.

    Man 288 USD is a great deal, ur lucky :D

    all u have to do know is mod the box :D

    unholy, Nov 17, 2005
  14. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Thanks...

    .....remember, it's only money. I bought two more items today just before leaving work. I'm spending it faster than I can make it! See the Osborne postings for an update. Last night I had a good time gaming with the Sun X-Terminal....

    bigal, Nov 18, 2005
  15. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    I'm jealous...

    Silverstrand, Nov 18, 2005
  16. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But will you....

    ....respect me in the morning? ha hahdfhhdf hshhdfsd ha.

    By the way, I miss those little emotion icons.....

    bigal, Nov 18, 2005
  17. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i already jealous, not ova that card though. i like ur printer mods, and ur HDD/CDD drive enclosures :D

    unholy, Nov 18, 2005
  18. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's ok...

    ...I won't be keeping that card in this system for more an a month or so. It makes too much noise by itself, and this system looks better with the cover on. I hope that before the year is out, I have that Osborne Executive mod nearly complete. It will probably sit where my "printer-to-computer" machine is right now. That machine could use a bit more cooling work, as it's been locking up now and then during heated gaming battles. I think the hard drive might be getting too hot, as it's buried in the bottom paper tray without any forced airflow.

    bigal, Nov 20, 2005
  19. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well darn, if you're not gonna be using that 7800GTOC, I know a perfect machine you can put it in. :)

    The Modfather, Nov 20, 2005
  20. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    well, my machine would work betta with it :D

    i just noticed modfather is at 995 post, nilly 1k :D welcome to the 1k post Club man :D

    unholy, Nov 20, 2005