Sun X-Terminal Mod

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by bigal, Jul 1, 2005.

?

Can this win a magazine Mod of the Month award?

  1. You bet it can!

    100.0%
  2. Maybe, but you'll need to stop changing the lights around...

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only after my computer wins it first!

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigal

    stlava

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    126
    Likes Received:
    0
    I would think yes because if anything happened you would need access to it.. but you never know..

    stlava, Jul 4, 2005

  2. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Me too, though i know i would cheat if i didn't have the time :|

    unholy, Jul 4, 2005

  3. bigal

    zachig

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2005
    Messages:
    113
    Likes Received:
    0
    WOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! I'm totally amazed!!! :shock: You did a FANTASTIC job, bigal. Way to go!!!

    zachig, Jul 4, 2005
  4. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    you will want to buy my HTPC when its done... one hint why "moving parts for the lid :D"

    unholy, Jul 4, 2005
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As in "taken off the wall"?

    The chassis hangs like a picture, with just two nails holding it up. The lid comes right off (you removed two cold cathode lights that are attached with velcro as you pull it off), so there is really no reason to pull the chassis off the nails. Also, the PSU and it's wires go into the case, so you would need to pull that off the wall at the same time (it's on 2 nails too). Then there's the mouse, keyboard, USB devices, video cable, and things of this nature to deal with too before it comes away from the wall. As I fiddle with it now, moving lights, wrapping cables, etc., there is no reason to pull it from the wall. I can easily stand in front of it, so everything is within reach. 8)

    bigal, Jul 4, 2005
  6. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    sounds good :D
    Now to mount it to your moto bike :D just kidding :D
    go WORMS!!!! :D

    unholy, Jul 5, 2005
  7. bigal

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    I came across a old working micro PIII system the other day, all USB IO ports, that I'm thinking of trying to put in the little Sun case and then run all the drives external...............might just come out pretty good..............:)
    [​IMG]

    Bio-Hazard, Jul 9, 2005
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Very nice

    Be sure to clean off that red sticker. I used isoprophyl alcohol and a fingernail. I think you'll need room for a 60mm fan in there too. :p

    bigal, Jul 9, 2005
  9. bigal

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    It's going to be a little tight, but I think I can put a fan or 2 in the front...............;) I sort of liked the stickers.........gives it the getto look.......:)

    Bio-Hazard, Jul 9, 2005
  10. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You know what was on those stickers, right?  That's why there was no SCSI drive with the case when I got it. :shock:
    What are you doing for video - is it built into the motherboard? I see a VGA adapter sticking out over the edge....

    bigal, Jul 10, 2005
  11. bigal

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    It just has built in video, I'm not even sure what type. I just plan on using it for my internet sharing server and maybe a file server, nothing very demanding really. It's only got 2 PCI slots and no AGP, so it's not worth much to game with or anything like that.

    Bio-Hazard, Jul 10, 2005
  12. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    sounds, good. its got a Heatink no fan, that makes it even better as maybe a HTPC :D, nah u wouldn't have any room for a TV Capture Card :|

    unholy, Jul 11, 2005
  13. bigal

    Bio-Hazard

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Back Woods of MO
    For a HTPC I'd have to use at least a HH case to fit a low profile card in it................;)

    Bio-Hazard, Jul 11, 2005
  14. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Speaking about that case....

    I just noticed that you cut a big section out of the top cover. Initially I thought you just took the cover off, but it's all becoming clearer now. Did you have a hard time prying up the back of the top cover? I almost broke one of mine trying to get it off. I learned the trick - spreading the sides out quite a bit. I took care of that once the cover was off - I cut those tabs out so the cover now slips off real easy-like. :p

    bigal, Jul 13, 2005
  15. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    low profile card? why not just a PCI Angle Changer!? look on ebay u might see what i mean :D

    unholy, Jul 13, 2005
  16. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Modded the PSU fan grill....

    Couldn't leave well enough alone. I just had to do something to show off a Sun logo. I had my oldest son fabricate the logo, and we both took turns coating it with Flexiglo ReActive Neon paint. Five coats later, this is the effect, using dual UV 4" cold cathode tubes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    bigal, Aug 2, 2005
  17. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    man thats a cool grill :D

    unholy, Aug 2, 2005
  18. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Maybe you should model it in 3-D?? How's that printer model coming? :p

    bigal, Aug 4, 2005
  19. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    not bad... been having problems lately, ones i have asignments :| 2 my computers being a painful little bum!

    unholy, Aug 5, 2005
  20. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ok, lately has come and gone. The printer model awaits.... :bath:

    bigal, Aug 11, 2005