Sun Java Runtime Environment - confusing update path

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve Marshall, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. I've been using the Java virtual machine in place of Microsoft's for
    some time now - first with Win98 and more recently with XP Pro. My
    current version is J2RE Std Edition 1.4.2_06 and I've set it to check
    once a month for updates. Currently it's reporting that no updates are
    available.

    But when I check out various Sun/Java web-sites, it turns out that JRE
    1.5, a.k.a. J2SE 5.0, is the latest version.

    It appears that "This release has been renamed 5.0 rather than 1.5.0
    to better reflect the level of maturity, stability, scalability and
    security built into J2SE".
    http://java.com:80/en/download/faq/5000070200.xml

    Oh please - I thought this sort of silliness ended when Word 2
    suddenly became Word 6.

    And when I look for J2SE 5.0, it appears that it's still being named
    1.5...

    A simple update (well, OK, maybe it's a major update) seems to have
    been made enormously confusing. Any comments or clarifications,
    particularly from those who scored more than 50 out of 60 in the
    computer IQ test? :)

    ka kite
    Steve

    Steve Marshall, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Possibly to synchronize with the Mac versions.

    Or how about when AutoCAD 2.6 was succeeded by release 9.

    Or, anybody else looking after MATLAB users out there? Have you figured
    out why MATLAB continues to two maintain two concurrent
    version-numbering schemes?

    I always thought changes to small version numbers were more impressive
    than similar changes to big ones. Thus, a jump from 1.0 to 2.0 seems
    bigger than one from 9.0 to 10.0. So to preserve the feeling of
    continual improvement, version numbers should increase in an exponential
    fashion.

    A Fibonacci sequence might be good: so after version 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0,
    the next correspondingly major release would be 5.0, then 8.0 ...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 5, 2005

  3. Steve Marshall

    Invisible Guest

    Nah, WordPerfect was up to 6, so "if you lead, I will follow".

    Invisible, Feb 5, 2005
  4. Steve Marshall

    Gordon Guest

    Indeed. It seems that Sun has some spots on it.

    PS do you not mean that Word 3 went to Word 6? Ah the days of
    competition, oh they are here again? Good stuff.

    Gordon, Feb 5, 2005
  5. Steve Marshall

    Adder Guest

    do you have a clue qwhy

    because word 2 was word for windows 2, equivalent to word 5 for the mac

    word was developed on the mac for years before it became available on
    wndows and thewn the windows versions had different vversion numbers ofr
    the sdame product

    Adder, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Steve Marshall

    Dave Taylor Guest

    1.5 is not an update to 1.4.2_06; 1.4.2_07 would be.
    That is the way the java update checker works.

    Dave Taylor, Feb 6, 2005