    reliable, not-horribly-expensive backup method?

    Thanks,
    Martin O'B

    Martin O'Brien, Mar 29, 2006

  2. Martin O'Brien

    Fred Guest

    DVD is the cheapest method. A second hard drive is another method.

    If you get a Firewire/USB2 external hard drive, you can back up to this and
    keep the hard drive at work, in your car, etc. so, if your house is burgled,
    catches fire, etc. you still have a back up.

    Fred, Mar 29, 2006

  3. Hi, Martin,

    There are two issues: longevity and location.

    At this point, no one has any realistic idea of longevity of any
    digital storage media. CDs were supposed to last for years, but
    some report problems with delamination and general readability,
    so the suggestion now is DVDs. shrug - who knows what will pop
    up on those. Others suggest external hard drives, which are
    fairly cheap. My suggestion is to try both hard drives and
    CDs or DVDs, and to back up your back ups every few years.

    As to location, having all your back ups in your home is not a
    good idea. My house burned to the ground one year, with the loss
    of all contents. Another year, another house, the basement
    flooded, damaging everything that touched the floor and walls.
    Where I live now, the danger is earthquakes and subsequent fires.
    Some people live where there are hurricanes, tornadoes, or
    whatever. Store backups outside the area of your natural disaster
    boundaries. Miles away. Miles and miles away.

    Good luck and have fun.

    Phil Stripling, Mar 29, 2006
  4.
    Moro Grubb of Little Delving, Mar 29, 2006
  5. Martin O'Brien

    dtype Guest

    In addition to the things that people have already mentioned, you might
    also try backing up at an online site such as Flickr, ShutterFly,
    oPhoto, etc.

    Yes, there is some chance that these sites could have catastrophic
    failure and lose photos, but I'd venture that it happens less than your
    own chances of losing DVDs, having them lose data, sitting on them,
    etc.

    Especially with the sites owned by large entities (such as Flickr,
    owned now by Yahoo!), this is probably one of the most reliable backup
    methods around. A $20/year (I think) Flickr account gets you 2GB/month
    of uploads, and otherwise unlimited storage. Rumor has it that Google
    will be offering online storage soon as well.

    If you want more guarantees, you can always go with an
    insured-against-loss online storage account with some vendor (non photo
    specific), but these will cost more. (Not sure if sites like iBackup or
    xdrive insure.)

    -drew

    dtype, Mar 30, 2006
  6. Martin O'Brien

    Fred Guest

    Backing up on-line is OK if it is only jpegs, but when you have 3000 80MB
    TIFFS, then it isn't an option.

    Fred, Mar 30, 2006