    about a 2 to 3 MB digital camera that is reliable and inexpensive, and
    takes good close ups (without flash)?

    Thanks in advance.

    monty1945, Oct 13, 2006

  2. monty1945

    deetee Guest

    Hi Monty,

    I recently bought my first digital camera, a Canon A520 Powershot (4.0
    MP), and it seems to do well in the macro mode without flash...I've
    photographed insects and other small things moderately well (though for
    something as small as half an inch, you'll have to do a bit of
    enlarging...I just photographed my thumbnail in moderately dim electric
    light, and the image got slightly blurry when I enlarged it to fill,
    say, half the screen, but with stronger light this camera should do
    well, I think). Good luck!

    -deetee

    deetee, Oct 13, 2006

  3. monty1945

    Bob Williams Guest

    I don't think that anybody maks 2-3 MP cameras anymore, so you will have
    to buy a used one
    I was checking eBay a few days ago and there were several Olympus D 540
    cameras that were refurbished and for sale by Olympus.
    You should be able to pick one up for arount $80 with 90 Day Olympus
    Waranty. It is 3 MP and focuses to 0.8 inches!!!
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Oct 13, 2006
  4. monty1945

    jeremy Guest

    Ricoh has had a reputation for extremely close macro performance. I
    continue to use a Ricoh RDC-5300, 2.3 MP, purchased in 2000 for $700.00,
    that can now be had on eBay for about $65.00. It is excellent. It has a
    true 3:2 aspect ratio, just like 35mm film frame, interval shooting,
    day-date imprinting in 3 modes, 4 flash modes, uses the Fuji Super CCD chip,
    9-element ALL GLASS 3X zoom lens, multicoated, with 3 aspherical surfaces,
    remote control, styled very similar to Contax G2, has an optical "Real
    Image" viewfinder and also has an LCD with a protective slider cover. You
    can use the camera without ever removing the LCD cover if you choose. This
    saves batteries because the LCD does not turn on, and it also makes this
    camera very much like using a traditional film camera, rather than holding
    it 6 inches away from your face and composing on the LCD screen.

    They're dirt-cheap (I now have 4 of them) and if you can live with 2.3 MP
    this is one camera that definitely should be on your short list. You can
    see photos and reviews on Steve's Digicams and on Imaging Resource web
    sites, also on the Ricoh web site.

    I don't think you'll find more camera for that price.

    jeremy, Oct 13, 2006
  5. The earlier Nikon Coolpix series take a lot beating for excellent marco
    shots - look out for a used Nikon Coolpix 990 (3.2MP), or the 995 or 4500.

    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 13, 2006
  6. monty1945

    tomm42 Guest

    I'll second the Nikon 995, 990 or 4500. The 990 has the best flash for
    macro of the 3, but unrefined controls, though you are coming from an
    older camera. These three cameras all came on the market near $1000,
    have very good lenses, especially for macro. I have gone on to DSLRs
    but I have still kept my 995. The sleeper on these cameras is their B&W
    mode, very nice pics at ISO 400. They go for $100-$120.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 13, 2006
  7. monty1945

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Out of these three I'd get the 990 because it uses AA cells instead of
    lithium. I hate to sound like a broken record but these cameras
    (while still useful) are seriously obsolete, and having to buy weird
    expensive batteries for them gets old pretty fast.

    Paul Rubin, Oct 13, 2006