    or AAA batteries for power. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks so much.

    John

    John, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Casio QV-R40: small, light, 4 meg, 3x optical zoom, some built in memory and
    uses SD cards, has movie mode (no sound though). a nice little camera,
    priced right...

    Daniel Dravot, Jun 3, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    Tnhanks, Dan. I think I'll get it. Low price so far is $229 via
    Amazon.com

    John

    John, Jun 3, 2004
  4. John

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    I went for a Pentax 43WR, since it is usable in all kinds of weather.
    Paid $320 on line and zoom is only 2.8x optical. But I've missed some
    good shots (my one time in Greece's Vikos Gorge!) due to having to keep
    my 300D in the pack while hiking in the rain.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 3, 2004
  5. John

    Aardyvarky Guest

    Pentax S40. 4MP, 35-105 zoom ( 35mm equivalent ), 2xAA batts, and
    pretty cheap too.

    Aardyvarky, Jun 3, 2004
  6. John

    Mike S. Guest

    The smallest are the 2 AA cameras, the Casio QV-R40 and Pentax S40 which
    others have mentioned, are both 4MP compact cameras. Reviews on both of
    these point out that their images are noisy, especially at low light levels,
    and that geometric distortion is noticeable at both ends of the zoom scale.

    Some others that have gotten better reviews, and whose sample images at
    Steve's Digicams look much better than the Casio and Pentax:

    Olympus D-580, if you don't mind using XD memory cards

    Panasonic DMC-LC43 and newer -LC70 - Leica lenses, good performance, very
    tempting!

    Toshiba PDR-4300 - uses a Canon lens and get good reviews; a little bulky
    as it uses 4 AA cells.

    vivitar V3930 - i know can find nothing about this

    Mike S., Jun 25, 2004