    I'm looking for a good image organizer similar to ACDSee 7 but one that
    runs on Linux. Does anyone have any suggestions about a product they
    use now?

    lee.thomson, Dec 3, 2004

  2. lee.thomson

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I use a program called GQview. It's not quite as versatile as ACDSee
    in that it doesn't have all the built in functions but works well for
    organizing.

    You can link it to external programs to make up for some of the lack of
    functionality.. For instance, if I want to edit an image, I can highlight
    it and click on 'edit in Gimp' and it will open in Gimp. You can do
    the same with ImageMagick, so with some tinkering it can be quite
    useful.

    Here's some screen shots on GQview home page at sourceforge..

    http://gqview.sourceforge.net/view-shot.html

    Jim Townsend, Dec 3, 2004

  3. lee.thomson

    Ray Guest

    Ray, Dec 3, 2004
  4. lee.thomson

    Nigel Rowe Guest

    Never having seen ACDSee, I can't comment about similarity. But for image
    organisation I use KimDaBa (http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba)

    From that page:

    What is KimDaBa ?
    KimDaBa or KDE Image Database is a tool which you can use to easily sort
    your images. It provides many functionnalities to sort them and find them
    easily.

    About KimDaBa
    If you are like me you have hundreds or even thousands of images ever
    since you got your first camera, some taken with a normal camera other with
    a digital camera. Through all the years you believed that until eternity
    you would be able to remember the story behind every single picture, you
    would be able to remember the names of all the persons on your images, and
    you would be able to remember the exact date of every single image.
    I personally realized that this was not possible anymore, and especially
    for my digital images - but also for my paper images - I needed a tool to
    help me describe my images, and to search in the pile of images. This is
    exactly what KimDaba is all about.

    KimDaba focuses on three key points:
    It must be easy to describe a number of images at a time. It must for
    example not take more than a few mouse clicks to mark all your images from
    your holiday as being from Italy, 1992. KimDaba offers two ways of
    description images one at a time, which is useful for writing text about
    images, and All Simultaneously, which is useful for selecting a number of
    images, and setting properties like location, persons on images, and date
    of image.
    It must be easy to search for images. KimDaba offers to describe images
    with a number of properties. These includes date, persons on image,
    location of image, plus a keyword field the user can use for custom
    keywords like Album 7 or Holiday trip to Italy. With KimDaBa you can search
    using these categories - for example Find the images with Jesper on them.
    It must be easy to browse and View the images. When viewing images, your
    focus often changes - one moment you are looking at images from your
    holiday in 1992, and when seeing an image of a friend whom you spent that
    holiday with, you focus suddenly changes, so you want to see all images of
    that friend.

    Nigel Rowe, Dec 3, 2004
  5. lee.thomson

    eawckyegcy Guest

    Hm. Unless I missed something, Kimdaba needs to write into the image
    directory tree it's "index.xml" file -- making it useless for those
    (like me) who mount their image filesystems on a read-only basis until
    image insertion is required.

    eawckyegcy, Dec 3, 2004