    I have P4-1.7 Celeron -GA-8SD533 with 256 MB RAM Running WIN ME

    MSM

    http://www.usenet.com

    MSM, Sep 17, 2003

  2. MSM

    Stevo Guest

    I'd recommend an external modem rather than an internal which are usually
    software modems.

    Hayes, USR etc would be worth a try but it depends what is available where
    you are.

    Even then, you might not notice a great improvement in connect speed, if
    there is one at all. All sorts of factors, external to the modem and your PC
    affect that.

    Stevo, Sep 17, 2003

  3. 46.6K is pretty good. You could do better with some fiddling with the
    settings. A new modem will probably make no difference unless, by chance,
    its out-of-the-box configuration has a couple of tweaks in it which make it
    connect better. (Bear in mind that your connection speed is limited to
    53.3K because of a law; it's capable of 56K but it doesn't run that fast.)

    Gary G. Taylor, Sep 17, 2003
  4. MSM

    Ron Martell Guest

    I doubt if a new modem is going to give you much more connection speed
    than you are getting. 56K is a *theoretical* maximum and there are
    legal considerations that limit the practical maximum to around 53K.
    I see a lot of dial-up connections on different brands of modems and
    cannot recall seeing a connection speed higher than 48K anywhere.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Agreed - but don't forget: more important than actual connect speed is
    throughput!

    If you get more throughput at 44kbps than at 50kbps, stick with 44.
    (I know you didn't mention either of these speeds, but I needed an example.)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Sep 17, 2003
  6. MSM

    Bigfoot Bill Guest

    Bigfoot Bill, Sep 18, 2003
  7. MSM

    isaviour

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Call 855-230-6145 now for comprehensive tech support from iSaviour certified technicians, highly skilled in providing computer support for repair, maintenance, troubleshooting errors, setup & installation of software, available 24/7.

    Visit- http://www.isaviour.com

    isaviour, Apr 20, 2011