Suddenly, neither CD-rom drive spins up or sees disc.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Emily, Jul 22, 2006.

  1. Emily

    Emily Guest

    Computer:
    Windows XP Pro Svc Pack 2.
    Intel P4 2800, 1 gig ram, Nvidia GeForce 6600 graphics card,
    dual-monitors.
    1 CDRW drive, Yamaha CRW-F1E
    1 DVD+RW drive, NEC ND-1100A
    Running F-secure internet security suite, system scanned clean as of
    last night, and we never use IE. No porn, warez, "free smilies!!", etc
    sites, so virus/trojan very unlikely.

    Background:
    No recent changes to system - no new hardware or software installed for
    5 months. (Case vacuumed at that time.)
    No abnormal or increasing slowness issues. No stability problems.
    Crashes very, very rare.
    ASUS probe reports that temp, fanspeed, voltage are fine.

    Current issue:
    NEC drive suddenly does not spin up - when there is no disc, opening it
    from "My computer" shows an empty drive, as though there were a blank
    disc present.
    (This drive is about a year new, and receives infrequent use.
    Basically, its job has been to burn a whopping 5 backup DVDs for a
    system rebuild in January, and to read the stupid disc so I can play
    Sims2.)
    After inserting a disc, the little CD icon appears next to the mouse
    cursor and the light lights up as though it is spinning up. However I
    do not hear it spin. Nothing happens. If I click on the drive, it
    claims there is no disc inserted.

    Yamaha drive, does the same thing. Blank screen if no disc, and if
    there is one, "Please insert disc into Drive D." I don't know how long
    this has happened, since I've been using the NEC exclusively for a few
    months. This drive is probably 3-4 years old.
    Both drives display as fine in Device Manager. Both do not appear to
    have power problems - they open/close fine and the lights light up.
    Both have the original drivers installed from their respective original
    discs.

    Any ideas? I especially like ones that will not require opening the
    case, as that will be a pain. (long story, but that requires
    disassembly of the desk.)

    Emily, Jul 22, 2006